Panasonic Split - How To Access Indoor Fan Motor???

Hi guys, I've got a Panasonic CU-E21FKR split system and I need to change the indoor fan motor as the bearings are shot.

Now get this, I'm a qualified fridgie but I've never had to change one of these before.
    So first attempt out, I took the front cover off. I can see the motor tucked away by the control box, so I take the screws out for that. Trouble is, the control box is nicely tucked in there. Has movement but not enough to pull out, up or across. So in that box is the PC board, take that out. Still nothing. I'm not a fan of pulling on or pushing things to breaking point.

So I left it there, thought there is another way to get to it. I take the coil off from the left hand side of the unit as that's where the screws are, trouble is that only lifts up enough to barely access the barrel.

I am absolutely bamboozled on this one. Luckily it's a love job but i hate not being able to do something, so I'm turning to you guys. I feel as though i took out every possible screw. There's obviously something I'm missing.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or a god dam assembly for this splitty that I'm not far from chucking through the window haha thanks for the patience guys.
    Last edited by AC noob; 14-08-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Re: Panasonic Split - How To Access Indoor Fan Motor???

Not sure on Panasonic but if u look thru the louvers at the fan blades, a section will be missing ,u will see a grub screw so u can pull the motor out.
    Well that's how they are on Daikin which I'm sure panasonics are rebadged daikins?

panasonic wall mounts- unplug reciever pcb,fan motor plug, all the electrics will swing down, usually 1 screw at the top and it flops downwards
    theres a clip with 2 screws and little plastic tabs that will pop out- a terminal driver will aid in this- as anz says there is an allen key on the plastic impellor- remove the allen screw completly- saves losing it- the motor is attached to the impellor via a rubber bush- so the back of the motor will lift up approx 45 deg- then you can pop it out- if u remove the drip tray under the coil- then you can clean the impellor too

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    panasonic wall mounts- unplug reciever pcb,fan motor plug, all the electrics will swing down, usually 1 screw at the top and it flops downwards
    theres a clip with 2 screws and little plastic tabs that will pop out- a terminal driver will aid in this- as anz says there is an allen key on the plastic impellor- remove the allen screw completly- saves losing it- the motor is attached to the impellor via a rubber bush- so the back of the motor will lift up approx 45 deg- then you can pop it out- if u remove the drip tray under the coil- then you can clean the impellor too
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The only thing that swings down is where the interconnecting wires go into the terminals. That seperates from the back control box which has the pc board inside of it.

This plastic tab I may have possibly broken trying to pull it out haha

i'll have a look for this grub screw

By the way this is a high wall split.

Cheers

Alright, alright, alright. I got it. The control box I was talking about was the casing box mainly for the pc board and to hold the fan motor in nice and tight. The Panasonic high wall split does have a grub screw which can be accessed from looking through the fan barrel. It is actually a Phillips head screw. So you'll need a long Phillips head screw driver here. Once the PC board and interconnecting wire controls have been disconnected and swung out of the way, what is left is this casing box. Now don't be shy when removing this. I had little play with it but managed to actually unclip the drip tray, just force it down, don't be scared. Then yank that box out of the way and whala! the fan motor is accessible! haha Happy customer, happy tradesman