I’m hoping that someone can help. I have a Zanussi ZNB383W Frost Free fridge freezer. I have been getting some mushy ice cream out of the freezer for some time. The drinks from the fridge didn’t seem too cold either. There have also been occasional puddles on the floor. Upon investigation I found the cooling battery in the freezer was solid with ice. I was able to turn on the defrost heater element by manually rotating the timer. Drips then started to fall so I knew that the heater element worked. I assisted the process with a hair drier. After 30 minutes the heater clicked off and the compressor started so I know that the timer works. After the defrost I achieved -15 degrees C in the freezer but + 10 in the fridge. My attention then turned to the fan. I know that there is power to the fan. Lying flat on my back I was able to undo the plastic cowling that holds the cooling battery. I could feel the fan with my finger tips which was being obstructed by what I suspect is bent cooling fins. The fan felt loose in its housing. I fear that ice might have done some damage.

My question is “How do you remove the fan unit on this model when you can’t see it and are trying your hardest not to damage the flow and return pipes to the cooling battery?” I suspect that you use the upper freezer tray to support the cooling battery whilst trying to remove the fan? Is the fan simply clipped somehow into position?