Installing new through wall air conditioner

Hello,

I recently purchased the Frigidaire FFTA1033Q1 through-wall air conditioner to replace my current older Frigidaire model. The older model was already in my apartment from the previous owner. Both models have the same exact dimensions. The sleeve was constructed to fit the unit very tightly with little to no room to give. Once the current unit was removed, I carefully slid the new unit into the existing sleeve. However, with all my effort of pushing the unit in, there is still a 2-inch gap between the rear of the unit and the grille. Will this pose any issues with the functionality of the air conditioner? Will this cause any overheating issues/damages and/or leakage of water from condensation? I really appreciate any input in this issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: Installing new through wall air conditioner

hi northernbeach,
    why dont you start a new thead, dedicated to your problem? your getting me mixed up with adding to another thread( letter number 1)= sedgy

Quote Originally Posted by P&L0210 View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased the Frigidaire FFTA1033Q1 through-wall air conditioner to replace my current older Frigidaire model. The older model was already in my apartment from the previous owner. Both models have the same exact dimensions. The sleeve was constructed to fit the unit very tightly with little to no room to give. Once the current unit was removed, I carefully slid the new unit into the existing sleeve. However, with all my effort of pushing the unit in, there is still a 2-inch gap between the rear of the unit and the grille. Will this pose any issues with the functionality of the air conditioner? Will this cause any overheating issues/damages and/or leakage of water from condensation? I really appreciate any input in this issue. Thanks in advance.
    Any chance of you uploading a picture. Can you describe what you mean by the rear of the unit. I am thinking your unit is something like this? http://www.coolyoudirect.co.uk/artel...ning-units.php

regularly to avoid any issues. a dirty filter will most of the time affect the air conditioner and make it run harder then usual, leak, smell and other problems as well. hope this helped!
    Last edited by frank; 31-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Hi

Did you check why you can not push the unit all the way through the wall. Is the gap left inside or outside? If its inside its no good because you get lots of ingress air into your conditioned space. If its outside you have to make sure that the condenser air flow paths are 100% free from obstruction, and that the condensate drain pipe does not drain water back into the conditioned space or your outside wall's cosmetic finish.

if it is a standered PTAC drop in this will be no problem for it at all, so long as the inside baffle mates with the shell properly you're fine, the shell will set the slope for water run off.

If you can put a clear picture up but going off your discripion sounds like there is little to worry about. When I was replacing PTACs at a hotell we found some of the replacements where shorter then the old units aas well despit being the proper match.
    Now in Redvers Sask.

With the current through the wall air conditioner does is join a window unit in the wall with an outdoor central unit. This gives the advantage of both, plus some extra advantage also.

i tried google translator but it didnt work
    Quote Originally Posted by tamcoaircon View Post
    With the current through the wall air conditioner does is join a window unit in the wall with an outdoor central unit. This gives the advantage of both, plus some extra advantage also.