Another coldroom...

Got asked to have a look at a florist coldroom today. And old wouldnt even touch the sides. Inside the room was a wall mounted Searle evaporator with refrigerant options of R12/R502/R22 running away quite happily, followed the pipework, found the condensing unit clicking away randomly. Quite a mess of wiring and pipework, sightglass flashing away, compressor had R134a on it so guessed someone had changed that, an old r12 compressor was living in the scrubbury.

All started becoming clear. Customer goes, they just changed something on the unit the other day, which was the cond fan motor. But sadly too late to save the compressor. Now hoter than the sun and completely seized.

Measured the room at 9m3, suggested the smartest idea was to replace everything with new or at the very least let me quote up to rectify all the electrical issues and replace the condensing unit with a new one done right and have it wired correctly instead of a 13a plug running 2.5mm cable.

Few questions really just so i can offer more than one solution as they want to sell the business soon and a coldroom with a portable a/c in it wont help lol.

Would you be able to replace the condensing unit with a r134a unit, correctly lag the suction line, fix all the electrical no-nos and fit a danfoss optyma controller to bring it into the 21st century. Whilst leaving the old evaporator in place?

Replace the evap, cond unit, rewire, repipe with a l'unite r134a condensing unit & new searle evaporator, controls. I was told that the plug does get hot as the unit is on 24/7 so fit a 13a fused spur and new 2.5mm to the controller and condensing unit or possibly a garage consumer unit?

I want to be able to give a few options, rather than say throw it away and start fresh.

Will there be anything I can do with the existing to save on cost.

Also was advised the coldroom need to run between 5-10degrees, which is a bonus as no heaters, etc. The details off the compressor that is u/s come up a L'unite CAJ4461Y 1/2HP R134a

Cheers for the help in advance guys

Re: Another coldroom...

I'd start again sounds like it's been bodged within a inch of its life

Hi JonJon.
    be careful selecting new install equipment. The RH% in room must be 90>95%.
    I had a similar system recently with a small blower evaporator and static wall grids and condensate trays, dripping water everywhere , not drained away but into a bucket in the room. RH was a constant 95%, all flowers in buckets of water, +7' C average temperature, atmosphere similar to a humid rain forest.

G'day magoo. I have 4 farms in this area and each owner seems to have their own recipe for temperature and humidity. Temperatures range from +3 C to +7 and humidity varies...depending on the the types of flowers for each season.
    RH is always maintained above 80%...as you have said previously.
    By the way, these specifications are for freshly cut, and over night storage.
    Last edited by mikeref; 07-07-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Only Specs for this portion of the world.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon View Post
    I'd start again sounds like it's been bodged within a inch of its life
    That's the thing, but I could be in for more problems than I imagine. I have quoted up to just replace the condensing unit and leave the Evap etc

I'd fit like for like if its been running ok, best not upset the applecart!
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)