Cool Freezer in unheated garage

Hi,

I have read on this forum and many other websites, varying answers as to whether or not a residential freezer will operate successfully in an unheated garage space (my space is in the upper southeast). Some say yes, some no.

From what I've read, it seems lower temperatures are more likely to play havoc with compressor operation. The nature of the havoc sounds reasonable but it's way beyond my expertise. But I think I understand it enough to wonder if unplugging the freezer, when it reaches the lower end of its operating range, is an acceptable work around for causing the compressor any confusion. Since the temperature would be below freezing while the freezer is off, I wouldn't think it would affect the food.

I just want to put a freezer in my garage that will operate acceptably so that my bride of 39 years will be pleased. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks for your help.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Freezer in unheated garage

Cold garages can delay thermostat operation.

As refrigerant will migrate to the coldest part during the of cycle it could end up in the compressor which is not a good thing to happen.

Compressors do not handle liquid refrigerant, it dilutes the oil and can wreck pistons and conrods.

If this is something that may happen you could fit a crankcase heater to the compressor to prevent this problem.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Thanks for the info. Where is the most likely source for a crankcase heater?

You need to get a fridge mechanic to fit one. They will get it from a refrigeration wholesaler. But, who knows you may find it on fleabay if you know what to look for.