Heating engineer career change

Firstly I would like to say what a fantastic site.

Ok so I I have been doing gas, oil, biomass installers/breakdowns for too long now and need a change of direction in my career.

Is there much demand is there for newly qualified people or is it a case (like gas is) that you really need to know somebody in the trade to get a foot in the door ? And more importanlty what fgas qualifactions do you actually need to be able to get a job in the refrigeration industry ?

Any advice would be great and thanks in advance

Re: Heating engineer career change

u thought of going down the sir source heat pump route??- bit of plumbing and something a lil different- usually stokers are in demand more than fridgys - so the basic is higher- dont know if its the same dawn sawf

Thanks for the quick reply, I have looked into air source and have stuck 3 or them in a couple of years back (think they where mitisubsi's) its a bit to much of the same really looking for a bit more of a change I guess

have u thought of working for a building maintenance company? then u can do boilers and the occasional ac breakdown to get familiar with the kit, and also you get to do all sorts of boring soul destroying stuff like lamp changing - asda look for heating engineers for the in store maintenance, as long as you have commercial gas safe they will train you up, and you have the back up of getting others in if you cant fix it

If your looking at coming off the tools a bit we are looking for people

Quote Originally Posted by jdunc2301 View Post
    If your looking at coming off the tools a bit we are looking for people
    Morning, I currently have a supervisory role although I'm still on the tools what field are you looking for people in ?

Hey,

We are a manufacturer of ASHP, GSHP, no install work, commissioning etc

Hey jdunc what kind of tickets do you need for AS and GS pumps ? I know that worcester used to do free courses but guess they are manu's specfic pumps

I'll have a good look into it tomorrow when I finish work. I've just got in from work and totally shattered

thanks for all the input

Really only the unvented ticket but fgas is ideal, you self employed or on the books?

I have my unvented but no fgas, been looking about and north west kent college seems to be a decent training centre anyone been there ?

You might be able to get a company to pay for it, your Fgas won't give you any HP refrigeration experience.. So you would be better starting off with just the heating and move across to refrigeration side of things when you have the units in front of you your experience counts for much more than fgas

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Kent View Post
    I have my unvented but no fgas, been looking about and north west kent college seems to be a decent training centre anyone been there ?
    A company I used to work for sent a couple of apprentices to north west kent college, they came back qualified but useless! Apparently when they did the practical part of the F gas they just watched the tutor do it and then he signed them all off, didn't even lift a tool! These guys were on day release for NVQ. Quite often did the hour and a half drive to get there and then got sent home at 11ish and told to read various literature for rest of day. Naturally they went to the pub.... I'd suggest you look elsewhere if you want to learn. I did my f gas with Prospects College at Basildon. The tutor there was very keen and very thorough.

Thanks ill check them out as i always re do my gas in bas vegas

Business edge are brilliant