Altering a Multideck's system

Hi,
    I need some advice, I have a customer with 2 large multidecks, producing so much heat its unbearable at summer.
    I was thinking how to get rid of the heat, so was thinking about 2 possible ways
    1, To replace the condenser to a water-cooled one and circulate and cool the water outside
    2, To take out the condenser and install it outside
    Which one is better solution, and if I put the condenser outside, shall I move it along with compressor or is it enough if the compressor would pump it from inside? (short suction line)?
    I was even thinking how nice would be to use up the heat to boost hot water supply and save energy.
    But main task would be to reduce the heat in the shop.
    Any idea helps. Thanks

Re: Altering a Multideck's system

For both solutions you will have to break into the system
    so which one makes more sense?

Remove the whole condensing unit to the outside and that
    will remove the heat from the store but the comp and cond
    are not weather proofed so some modifications may be required.
    Also remember about oil and things.

Remove just the condenser to outside and that will remove the heat
    from the store but the cond again is not weather proofed so that needs
    to be taken into consideration and be aware of refrigerant flow rates and oil.

Replace the cond for water cooled and transfer the water outside to another
    heat exchanger and that will remove the heat, just be aware of water temps,
    so a water control flow valve may be required.

Replace the cond for water cooled and transfer the water to a hot water cylinder
    and pre heat the customers water then pass it outside to another
    heat exchanger and that will remove the heat, just be aware of water temps,
    so a water control flow valve may be required.

Quickest is probably bunging the cond outside best would be recovering the waste heat.

Regards

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

If run is short take condensing units outside, extend liquid and suction lines, keep as short as possible as they are probably capillary feed, make up a cover for outdoors.

al
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Fit air con in the shop.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi,

I think I will go for the most convenient solution, just to remove the condenser and place it outside, I already have a suitable cover.
    What I still would like to know, if I extend the hot gas and liquid line (so the compressor would be still inside), how will it effect the system? Do I need larger diameter pipes? Will the compressor work more? I've read some bits about oil traps, do I need to fit somewhere?

The pipe run would be about 3m upwards above the ceiling, then across the shop appr. 4m and down again outside the shop.

Also, its not clear for me what difference it makes if I move it together with compressor (suction line as well with insulation) or just condenser alone?

Air condition is not an option at the moment and there is already an oldish but still working unit. And anyway you can feel in the shop, you step in and 1 side cold from AC while the other is a proper heatwave from multidecks.

We usually take the whole condensing tray out and relocate it. we have done it loads of times without any issues nor have we bothered increasing the compressor size. less shop noise and hassle.

the only thing you may need to think about if the discharge pipe is part of the condensate - if so you will need a new heater or ideally drain to gravity.

Take the whole lot out as Richard says, no point in leaving compressor chugging away in shop and it will need a fan installed to cool it.

al
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

[QUOTE=Johnny Walker;295808]Hi,

I've read some bits about oil traps, do I need to fit somewhere?

The pipe run would be about 3m upwards above the ceiling, then across the shop appr. 4m and down again outside the shop.

Also, its not clear for me what difference it makes if I move it together with compressor (suction line as well with insulation) or just condenser alone?

Agree with the others here, move the whole lot outside. If you have a 3m rise into the ceiling then you will need an oil trap in the suction line to get oil back. Also form a swan neck bend at the top of the riser to stop oil draining back down the riser when off cycle. A gradual slope in the suction line towards the compressor is also recommended for oil return.