Blog Entries

Implementing Ozone Generators

Hey Guys,

Does anybody have experience with ozone generators? I am hoping to utilize ozone in order to benefit my customers refrigeration systems. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Implementing Ozone Generators

I've seen it used in evidence lockups, where it's supposed to clean the air of the smell from the drugs. Seems to work, as the staff complain less of getting headaches when working in the rooms.
    UV lamps do a great job of keeping AHU's & suchlike clean. The client that installed them does grumble that the ones they have are expensive to run as the tubes don't seem to last very well. But I've never had to do more than lightly vacuum the fan sections & drain trays.

What do you want to do with it? if it`s a proper system using and not one of those cheapo ones for cleaning air indoors you`ve got to be very careful as ozone gas can kill in very small amounts, also it damages many types of rubber seals etc. However if you want to kill any organisms in a closed environment this will do it. you`ll need to have the generator on site as the gas can`t be stored and breaks down after a few minutes which can be a plus point as after use you don`t have to worry about any toxic gas remaining. i`ll try and plough through the manuals here and find some more info.

Blog Entries

I have heard that by introducing ozone into contained refrigerated spaces that it helps reduce bacteria growth. Meaning that ozone allows you to operate a refrigeration system at a higher temperature. If so this would mean energy savings for customers. This may simply be a nice theory. I look forward to any info you can provide.

It will kill bacteria DEAD! but as I said it also attacks many materials and metals. You would also need a system to prevent anyone entering the space until the gas had degraded and although it quickly breaks down you`d need alarm system to detect any ozone leakage into another closed environment. Luckily it has an odour like seeweed so it can easier be detected by smell

http://www.ozoneapplications.com/inf..._materials.htm

to add to the fray: Ozon generated via silent arc discharge all so has nitric acid as a byproduct if there is humidity pressent, very little is needed, plus side is they run near forever

UV-C is another way to produce it with no nitric acid forming and you have the benifit of uv all so killing any bacteria, tubes last about a year average befor needing replacement providing good clean power to the ballast.

Ozone is ultra reactive, it increases fire risk by a good factor and is toxic and an irritant in small dosages and attacks a wide range of materials. it is explosive all by its self as a liquid and crystal! it is 10,000 times more effective then bleach.
    Now in Redvers Sask.

Well I don't have any idea about this so I am sure about it. It I get any information related to this I'll definitely share with you.

Last edited by Xandra; 14-11-2014 at 01:38 PM.

I use ozone generators for injection into water supply to large ice makers as a water sanitizer, and as water injectors for wash down in food processing areas.
    Not too sure but I think it is not too good to breath high concentrations of it though, tends to turn your toes up and you die

The great thing with ozone is that the human nose can detect at a level 100x lower than the recommended 8 hour exposure limit. So, if you smell it, don't panic. If it makes you cough, get out fast.

As a PE that designs ozone water treatment the general safety protocol is:
    1)Room air monitor that shuts the unit off at 0.1 to 0.3ppm and triggers an alarm. Protocol is to wait 30 minutes (for ozone to degrade) before allowing anyone to enter the area. Then a leak test must be performed with a different gas (usually compressed air or oxygen)
    2)Fail safe is training staff that if they smell ozone to leave the area immediately. A remote on/off switch is installed outside the area so that the ozone generator can be switched off without exposing anyone to a leak. Then follow same protocol as in # 1 with the addition of testing the ozone monitor.

I would imagine that using it in a cooler would require the cooler to have an ozone monitor that either controls the ozone level or alarms when ozone is at dangerous levels. I do not know what level you would need to control bacterial growth on produce etc, but I'm guessing it would be higher than the recommended human exposure level? Anybody know? Perhaps the ozonated portion of the cooler is not a walk-in, but a negatively-pressurized reach-in type? I can see that being fail-safe. Loss of negative pressure would turn off the ozone generator...

Our ozone injection is set at approx. 0.4 ppm although it`s the lower limit is 0.2