Blog Entries

which one is a better ?

if you want to choose between sabro and mycom which one you choose ? why.
    for NH3 also for CFC types

Re: which one is a better ?

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    mbc, what size compressors are we talking, is it a general question, , also what type of Sabroe eg Frick?

The best thing with Mycom is overhaul manual on the internet, no secrets at overhaul time & no real special tools except a locknut spanner which are a good price anyway.

Also technical & parts, which company is best in your area.

Here is my opinion:

Sabroe is garbage. The only time I would ever consider using one is if I had a fishing boat with limited space then I would choose a Sabroe because you have an option to drive the compressor using the female rotor and get more capacity. I would also use it as a boat anchor.......

The above opinion is for legacy Sabroe, before York and Johnson controls bought them, it appears the "new" Sabroe compressors are actually Frick with a Polar bear name plate and that is a different opinion.

So back to your question but consider additional compressors. I don't have very much experience with CFC's, mostly propane, propylene, ammonia, Co2, Helium, and natural gas.

Mycom: The compressors are solid when used with Ammonia and propane, not so much compressing helium. They tend to have issues with shaft seals leaking prematurely and their support is questionable. I don't particularly like their packages, if you can purchase a bare block and package it yourself then do it. I'm also not a big fan of their two stage compressors. My experience with mycom is all models up to the 400 and the two stage 4032.

Howden: Personally, these are my favorite for propane and ammonia refrigeration. They tend too also have shaft seals issues with the 365 and 510. The compressors are relatively quiet and easy to rebuild, no special tools required to set the end clearance. Their support could be better. My experience with Howden is all models up to the 510.

Frick: Frick makes a good compressor but I would probably use Howden over a Frick for refrigeration and a Frick over any other for gas compression (natural gas) because they can run much higher oil and discharge temps. Frick is a solid compressor and their support is exceptional but my preference for refrigeration goes to Howden. Frick compressors are probably more time consuming of the three to rebuild. My experience with Frick is from the XJF series to the TDSH-400, all SGC and all NGC's up to the 450. From a cost perspective, a Frick package will usually be cheaper because they don't need a full time oil pump (high stage).

I can add more later......need to head to work.

Correction- Meant to type TDSH-408

For Ammonia and propane the mycom compressor will do well. The reciprocating machines will be cheaper but obviously require more maintenance than the more expensive screw compressors. The small compressors dont require any special tools for overhaul. Overhaul times are usually about 8000 running hours.

Sabroe is a european brand, I dont have much experience on this machine so I cant comment on it.

Hi, mbc

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    not easy to give a good answer ...

Both, Sabroe and Mycom are good compressors (for me Mycom is easier for maintenance) .... if you plan to build your own skid then I would go for Howden (also easy for maintenance) ... new Sabroe i.e. Frick I do not like too much ...

Decision which one to buy depend on the type of refrigeration plant in question.

I am working mostly with ammonia and HC and less with CFC so far I cannot give you any good advice ...

All of them are prone to have some issues with shaft seal ... big problem with CFC refrigerants, where you can have a quite big loss until you notice that you have some problem with shaft seal ...

anyhow, for industrial use I would recommend you to go with ammonia .... highly efficient refrigerant, no problem with refrigerant price, easy to detect any leak, no oil recovery problem .... natural refrigerant no ODP and no GWP ... what is very important if you take care about future ...

if you give some more info regarding your plans maybe we can give some more and better advice what will be good for you .... but, remember without good maintenance there is not good compressor ...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.