jbelding Guest

Cheese Room Design 24V DC

My Father is trying to build a Goat cheese storage room for his farm. He wants to run it on 24V DC from his solar system. The room is almost built 15ft long 7ft high 7ft wide R80 insulation all round. He wants to keep it at 50F year round, and the hottest it gets here in the summer is 90F.
    The question is what would be the best type/most efficient refrigeration system for this room and what special things should we consider when spec-ing a cooling system for this room.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    JB

Re: Cheese Room Design 24V DC

With only 24V available from the solar generator I suppose you should consider a Peltier type cooler

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Although Danfoss make 12vdc and 24vdc compressors, the BDF range.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Danfoss do a 24 vdc refrigeration compressor for caravan & lorry cab fridges, but I'm not sure it'd have sufficient ouptut to cool the size of room you've given, even with the req'd. 50 deg. F which isn't too low. If you were to go this route you also need to know the available wattage from the solar panels.
    Noah had to leave the dinosaurs behind as they would've sunk the boat.

Hi jbelding,

Goats cheese can be tricky, is it simple soft white cheese or one of these smelly good things?

If you don't have electricity there, forget it, it will never work properly.

About 1.5 TR will do the job.
    If you tell us what kind of cheese your dad is going to store, I can give you some helpful tips.

Chemi

jbelding Guest

His cheese is the hard smelly kind that needs to age for many months; hence the need for the storage room. He does have access to the grid, but he wanted to try to use the substantial solar system he has.
    Thanks again for the help

What about an absorption system that runs from thermal solar collectors? If designed correctly, firewood can be used as a back up heat source.
    "If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine

Hi Hi jbelding,

Take into consideration that you will have to get rid of ammonia fumes from the cheese. If you do not change the air in the room, you will get holes in the copper pipes. SS coil is very expensive, epoxy coating will hold for many years.

I would check that absorption option.

Chemi

LFFarm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by star882
    What about an absorption system that runs from thermal solar collectors? If designed correctly, firewood can be used as a back up heat source.
    I'm the dad with the goats and "in construction" cheese making facility. Would you explain an absorbtion system? Thanks

LFFarm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool
    Hi jbelding,

Goats cheese can be tricky, is it simple soft white cheese or one of these smelly good things?

If you don't have electricity there, forget it, it will never work properly.

About 1.5 TR will do the job.
    If you tell us what kind of cheese your dad is going to store, I can give you some helpful tips.

Chemi
    I'm the dad- We are making a raw milk, natural rind, semi-hard, aged over 60 day, goat cheese. Appreciate the help.

I'm the dad with the goats and "in construction" cheese making facility. Would you explain an absorbtion system? Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorptive_refrigeration
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_abs...n_refrigerator
    "If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine