Looking for advise

I am a gas and central heating engineer with qualifications in plumbing level 3, unvented hot water, and water regs.

Im looking to move to australia and thinking about doing a short f gas course beforehand to give me a chance in getting a job in air-conditioning.

My question is will my previous qualifications and skills count for anything when applying for air conditioning jobs with just a short course in f gas behind me? Would it even be worth my while doing it.

Any feed back would be greatly received. Cheers

Re: Looking for advise

Long story short nope.

Re: Looking for advise

Was thinking of going over myself,went over late last year to stay with a friend who only does transport refrigeration great lifestyle going back again later this year ,think the guy would give me a job but my family over here would miss me being older in my years it's grandchildren that would miss me,the climate can get hot ,me I was in Melbourne the prices of stuff seem about the same as here if youth is on your side and you are prepared to work hard go for it,but keep your place back here as a fallback.

Smile Re: Looking for advise

Quote Originally Posted by tomcolville View Post
    I am a gas and central heating engineer with qualifications in plumbing level 3, unvented hot water, and water regs.

Im looking to move to australia and thinking about doing a short f gas course beforehand to give me a chance in getting a job in air-conditioning.

My question is will my previous qualifications and skills count for anything when applying for air conditioning jobs with just a short course in f gas behind me? Would it even be worth my while doing it.

Any feed back would be greatly received. Cheers
    Hi Tomcolville
    I work in Adelaide, South Australia.
    The best thing you can do for yourself is to contact the local office of Consumer and Business Affairs in the state you want to work in. Although we are one big country the regulations and licensing requirements change once you cross borders to different states. It`s all about state governments collecting the $$$$.
    In think your F gas you mentioned may be our Australian equivalent of our refrigerant Handling License. Luckily this is a national license scheme. Contact ARC, australian refrigeration council for more information https://www.arctick.org/index.php.
    Over here a gas fitter is not licensed to work on refrigeration and vice versa, separate qualifications required.
    Our Adelaide market seems to be flooded with split bashers so choose the direction of your career carefully.
    You may get recognition for prior learning with your current trade which may allow you to fast track the qualification you need for the license you want. There seems to be work over here for commercial and industrial gas fitters/service technicians. Have a look on this website for more info http://www.seek.com.au/
    Hope this helps.
    Steve