Looking for a desiccant dehumidifier service/repair shop or expert

I know that this may not be the most appropriate forum for this question but I couldn't think of a better place

I'm looking for an independent service/repair shop or expert that can give me a professional opinion about a faulty dehumidifier.This can't be a manufacturer as I need an independent opinion. Ideally based near Surrey or west London

My appliance is clogged with dirt and is leaking and I think that the air filter (which you can read a paper through) is not fit for purpose. I need an expert's opinion to substantiate my suspicions if I'm to get some of my money back.

I'm trying to keep this post as short as possible but I can go into more details if anyone is interested.

Re: Looking for a desiccant dehumidifier service/repair shop or expert

Hi, have exactly the same problem. Would like to hear more re your situation and exchange thoughts.

Well unfortunately I haven't gotten far. It seems only the manufacturers service their own dehumidifiers. If your unit is leaking (due to dirt) you have 3 options:
    1. Repair it yourself
    2. Send it for repairs. You will be charged regardless whether or not the unit is in warranty
    3. Demand a refund from the seller (not the manufacturer) for selling you a product that is not fit for purpose under the sales of goods act. If you made the purchase using a credit card, you can ask for a section 75 refund. In my case, the filter is not fit for purpose and it is quite obvious but chances are that I'll need a written expert's opinion on the matter if I was to succeed with the refund request.

The manufacturer has my unit and is threatening to cut the power cord before they return it if I don't pay them for the repair. I'm trying to get in contact Chris Michael who seems to be the CEO of the company but I've not been able to find his email yet.

It would be so much easier if I could find an expert who can just write down what is obvious and then I'd get my money back from the dodgy dehumidifier seller

Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    Well unfortunately I haven't gotten far. It seems only the manufacturers service their own dehumidifiers. If your unit is leaking (due to dirt) you have 3 options:
    1. Repair it yourself
    2. Send it for repairs. You will be charged regardless whether or not the unit is in warranty
    3. Demand a refund from the seller (not the manufacturer) for selling you a product that is not fit for purpose under the sales of goods act. If you made the purchase using a credit card, you can ask for a section 75 refund. In my case, the filter is not fit for purpose and it is quite obvious but chances are that I'll need a written expert's opinion on the matter if I was to succeed with the refund request.

The manufacturer has my unit and is threatening to cut the power cord before they return it if I don't pay them for the repair. I'm trying to get in contact Chris Michael who seems to be the CEO of the company but I've not been able to find his email yet.

It would be so much easier if I could find an expert who can just write down what is obvious and then I'd get my money back from the dodgy dehumidifier seller

why not pop down or give him a ring?

http://www.meaco.com/contact.asp

Meaco (U.K.) Limited
    Meaco House
    Parklands
    Railton Road
    Guildford
    Surrey
    GU2 9JX
    Phone
    Tel: 01483 234900
    Fax: 01483 232700

Aah Mr. Bartlett, if only I went with that MVHR, I wouldn't be in this situation now and dealing with dodgy portable dehumidifiers. Unfortunately, the decision wasn't mine alone to postpone . I can only hope prices have started to come down.

Unfortunately, ringing them is no use. They just blame you for not cleaning the filter often enough (apparently that's how dirt bypasses the filter somehow). How can a pea strainer (as one reviewer put it http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3K7A..._res_rtr_alt_1) stop dust from entering a forced induction device?

Thanks for the email. I couldn't find it on the contact page

Got a photo of the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by jdunc2301 View Post
    Got a photo of the filter?
    Sure. Bottom left
    Last edited by semo; 05-06-2014 at 10:51 AM.