Williams WBC30 - Blast Chiller

I have a faulty compressor on a Williams Stand-up Blast Chiller . . . replacement comp is £400, replacement unit is nearly £4000!! Obviously they want the comp changing, I don't work on these very often and I didn't get the chance to have a good look at it, but the discharge pipe from the comp is brazed in, but how the hell do you get to it? Does the condenser unit pull out?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Williams WBC30 - Blast Chiller

Can you not cut the pipe somewhere more convenient?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Brian, like I say, I didn't get the chance to have a good look at it, but from I saw, the discharge pipe goes to a T-piece, it splits between going to the condenser coil and a solenoid valve, which I presume is for some kind of hot gas de-frost. The problem is that it is all very compact, I could barely see the discharge joint, I just wondered if the the actual condenser unit pulls out some how?

braze some pipe onto the new compressor before you fit it- check the capillary line isnt run inside the suction line- youll have fun if you chomp it and find a capillary inside- been there done that! haha

Thanks, the suction looks rota-lock type fitting, but the discharge is brazed and looks a pig, I can hardly see it, how the hell can I unsweat it and re-braze it? I'm sure the condenser unit slides out some how?

undo suction rotorlock, unbolt comp, slide it away to allow space to either cut the pipe with a hacksaw right near the pot- then it can be unsweated and refitted( ensure no swarf gets in the pipework- or cut it with tube cutters

Thanks for that, I had another look at it today, the condenser unit underneath is a l'unite hermetique, I'm sure I remember that years ago these used to pull out but this looks different, will have to wait and see, comp on order

I have some wire cutters like these, http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-cable-cutter-210mm/51831

they will cut through copper pipe when you cant get a pipe cutter in. You could potentially chop the discharge pipe off the comp and when its out the way unsweat it. If you have an oxy acetylene then i expect you could quickly braze it back in the new compressor. You may need to file off some braze to get it to fit in the hole.
    I use yellow dusters soaked in water to prevent heat from brazing damaging anything, also have a small sheet of ali that makes a good heat shield. If there is not enough room then do as others have said and braze a stub on it to reach to where its easier.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Thanks for that monkey spanners