Talking answers for all vrv's problems mbe ?

Hi
    I was apprentice installing marstair heat pumps when I was 16 and now I'm 46 so .....had a load off walk in cold room stuff some more recent kfc stuff not good on foster defrost cabinets
    oh well worked for the Italian als lot for 4 years doing leak repairs, evap end plate gaskets swapping out alco rotor lock exv's for brazed in etc , done some conversions to swap the old frame 2's for 3100's driven via vfd 's etc got some aquasnaps on the go ( leaking micro coil) some old York yccd's and a 30 gx.... oh and York rtac's with impossible to find leaks so I been around and so after a day overland from westcombe park to cannon street then tube from bank to the west end and back I was just nodding of after a couple stronbows and thought hey I know what would be fun .....to observe a vrv or vrf pipework with a camera ...a thermal imaging one ....has anyone done this ??

Re: answers for all vrv's problems mbe ?

25 yr ago werent all marstairs cooling only with leccy elements in em (hilo range) and a big ranco c27 stat- no compressor on delay and if you were lucky the head pressure control pcb didnt fall off the lid when u hinged it up to let the zap it

Good memory IM. I think the stat was a C17. Easy units to work on, no fancy electronics to tell you what has failed. They usually had contactors for the compressors which invariably failed as they were often undersized for the current duty. Oh what fun.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperion View Post
    Good memory IM. I think the stat was a C17. Easy units to work on, no fancy electronics to tell you what has failed. They usually had contactors for the compressors which invariably failed as they were often undersized for the current duty. Oh what fun.
    In 1983 I worked for Qualitair in design when the first electronic controls came in. Biggest load of ****e 90% failure rate at their factory test station and we failed 50% of those which were delivered to us before production..

. After that spent time working on the big three, Mastair, Qualitair and Prestair The odd Myson, Wright air and various others.

and the metal covers with wooden ends that wobbled when u were on ladders trying to lift em off the indoors- and after 5 yrs the filters were rotted through- the units used to last for yrs- then the electronic ones came out- that had twin tiny condensate pumps and drain sensors that used to clog up and them restrictors you had to stick on the liq line

Oh what fun memories Richard.
    The first unit I worked on was a Rootes Tempair Director console installed on brackets 2 metres up a wall. That was the only way to install wall mounted units back then, but I am going back 45 years. Enough reminiscing.
    Back to the OP, do not know if anyone has had so much spare time to actually try to thermal image a VRV in operation.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.

Hi

I'm doing a lot of work on vrf at the moment compressor changes and pressure leak tests.
    If I can borrow my mates thermal camera I will try only problem the lagging armour flex tape etc might confuse the readings ?

Also can we start another thread on IMi,marstair,wrights air brings back so many memories and I still know where a wrights unit is running lol.

Ian