Thread: Capacitors

Capacitors

I was recently called out to diagnose a Actron ducted system were the comp would not run.
    I found the run cap and the motor start cap faulty.
    I replaced the 50uF cap with a 45uF and then replaced the motor start cap like for like, fitted the caps and system ran all checked Ok. Three days later was called out a gain and the systems Soft - starter was gone. Now the client has had some else fit a new soft starter and a new run cap as he thinks the 45uF cap has taken out the soft starter due to using a low uF reading cap and this has resulted in the soft - starter failing. even taking in account of the +- 5% this is still only 2.5 uF shy of whats required. now he wants me to pay for the other tradie to replace the soft - stare and cap???

can some please shed some light on this as I think this is not the cause of the soft - starter failure.

Re: Capacitors

Its hard one to call.

The 45 uF is not a 50 uF and they put a 50 uF on for a reason??

Did the smaller capacitor cause the soft start to fail, I don't know,
    it might have been a series of unfortunate events and the soft start
    might have failed anyway??

No help to you, I know.

The customer might have a valid case, he might just be trying it on
    but because you did not fit the correct capacitor, you are out on a limb
    and he feels justified to ask you to pay for the additional repairs.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Personally, I wouldn't be paying until solid proof was available regarding the cause of the failure. Maybe you could suggest that the failed soft start is sent back to the manufacturer for examination?

Here's a link to a Blog by a Pro...he will also answer questions via his blog.

thanks guys

Can't see a run capacitor being 5uf low having much effect on a soft starter, surely its only in circuit during starting when the run and start capacitors are both in circuit, theres generally such a large tolerance on start capacitors that i expect your replacements were in spec when starting. (worked on a copleand compressor that had had a 25uf fitted where a 60uf should have been, had been like it three years, i changed it but it goes to show)
    I keep a range of capacitors on the van, you can always join a couple together to get the correct rating, e.g. 45+5, 20+30 etc

More likely it was old age or the damage was one before the original call.

I wouldn't pay either, he should have called you back to fix it. How can you warranty stuff when its had third parties working on it in the interim?
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 10-03-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)