nh3wil Guest

Blown Discharge Gasket

Ive got a Frick Quantum lx 650 hp compressor. Last week it blew the seperator to compressor gasket while running! the comp only had 186 hours on it when it blew, what a mess! Ammonia everywhere. Luckly I had a very good experienced operator on site at the time. Besides many other problems we've had with this comp, when we pulled the gasket it was off center and had been cut out by hand from the factory . the width in some areas were 1.25'' to 1.50''. the new one thay sent was 1.75 if I remember correctly. alot bigger any way and perfactly cut. has anyone had a problem with this? or is it a common practise to make crappy gaskets at frick?? Runs great now got it back online with the right gasket!
    Last edited by nh3wil; 19-03-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Re: Blown Discharge Gasket

Hi nh3will

Not many Fricks this side of the pond, but the same problem

Factories pressure test the component parts then assemble, it is these assembly joints that are the problem. Grasso sent us five packages in the same year (large screws) three of them leaked at the assembly joints worse still two of them broke oil pipes and changed their oil around the plantroom floor

Final assembly after testing is left to the least trained operatives, basically get it sealed up, it has passed its tests and get it to the customer ASAP as he is on the phone looking it

Kind Regards. Andy

I have seen something similar to this on pressure vessels with inspection covers. During pressure testing of the vessel a "test" gasket mat be used.

After successfully completing the pressure test, the "test" gasket is removed and replaced (or should have been) with a permanent gasket. The inspection cover gasket is re-checked for leaks during the final system pressure test.

Before the system pressure test it is also a good idea to check all of the bolted joints. Check the torque on the bolts. If the gasket is not compressed sufficiently... even a properly cut gasket can blow out.

upx Guest

I think it's seem Valve Plate Burn Oil effact for Liquid flood back

I have also seen some manufactures put in a shipping gasket that is some what softer than the normal gasket or even made of Neoprene or buna that has to be replaced when installed in the field.

Sometimes these are not replaced and will blow out or leak. One thing to remember is when installing a unit never to reuse old gaskets. The manufacture has usually included new gaskets in with the valves or flanges if shipped loose. Since the advent of non asbestos gaskets the new gasket materials and binders do not stand up well to being reused. They will have a tendency to split and crack when retorqued and may result in a blow out.

Cool Re: Blown Discharge Gasket

Quote Originally Posted by nh3wil
    Ive got a Frick Quantum lx 650 hp compressor. Last week it blew the seperator to compressor gasket while running! the comp only had 186 hours on it when it blew, what a mess! Ammonia everywhere. Luckly I had a very good experienced operator on site at the time. Besides many other problems we've had with this comp, when we pulled the gasket it was off center and had been cut out by hand from the factory . the width in some areas were 1.25'' to 1.50''. the new one thay sent was 1.75 if I remember correctly. alot bigger any way and perfactly cut. has anyone had a problem with this? or is it a common practise to make crappy gaskets at frick?? Runs great now got it back online with the right gasket!
    Hopefully the installer covered it under warranty being it only had 186 hours on it