Hi guys,

This is my first post after joining and to be honest the reason I joined is to share technical knowledge however, I hope someone can help.

I am designing a large HVAC system for an FPSO vessel based off the coast of Nigeria. My usual experience is cold weather design (Norway) and I would just like a push in the right direction.

The max external temperature in the region is 36oC (db) and usually I would use the sea water cooling system feeding a heat exchanger to bring the temperature down prior to introduction into a living quarters. As the average sea water temp is in the 20oC region I estimate that I will only get a temperature drop of about 6 degrees (seawater temp rise 6oC + 1oC pump pick up). Consequently the supply temp to the living quarters would be about 30oC.

So my question is should I abandon the sea water cooling and go for a chiller system which can reduce the temperature significantly more (but obviously increase capital costs and loose the free cooling from the seawater), supplement the seawater cooling with a chiller system or should i keep with the 30oC supply and fit DX to rooms?

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Regards