Just a small problem.

I have two kits chilling a "Drive through" coldroom. Eh, that means it is a chiller room full of beer and spirits maintaining + 2 degrees C or lower and is quickly accessible by the staff for drive in customers.
    One kit failed 18 months ago and i replaced the belt drive compressor with a Danfoss sealed compressor and a "Henry" oil separator, along with a 500 MM EBM single phase fan. Original setup was 25 or so years old so i converted it to R134A.

Now, the second condensing unit has sprung a small leak on the shaft seal. Refrigerant volume is around 20%. This drama has happened just shy of me planning the same procedure to this unit as per kit number 1. ( May i introduce one of Murphy's laws.)

Kit #1 now has a faulty oil separator and compressor oil level is below the sight glass and will cause pre-mature compressor failure. ( Relying on oil return at this time.)
    Kit number 2 has bugger-all refrigerant, no help there......... SO....
    How would you...seasoned veterans and newbies...maintain this high turnover room at + 2 Degrees C, 35 Degrees F?
    Last edited by mikeref; 25-02-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Under the current circumstances.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Re: Just a small problem.

For the crook oil separator, drill a 1/4" hole in the top, thread a length of tube down into the bottom, braze up the hole / tube entry & run the oil back to the compressor via a throttling valve.

For the open drive, convert to 134a till you get the new kit?

Quote Originally Posted by HVACRsaurus View Post
    For the crook oil separator, drill a 1/4" hole in the top, thread a length of tube down into the bottom, braze up the hole / tube entry & run the oil back to the compressor via a throttling valve.

For the open drive, convert to 134a till you get the new kit?
    Well done HVACR....1/4" Copper tube into the oil separator's reservoir and regulate via a hand valve. Thank you
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

HVACR. If you are ever visiting the far North Queensland region, P.M me.
    I recently missed Paul Z's visit to Cairns, Damn it!

Cheers Buddy