Need some advice on engineering project

I am trying to design and build a mini chiller for a school engineering project. The chiller would have a small cooling compartment enough to fit a few cans.

My problem is that I don't know how to pick a compressor. I need to be able to achieve subzero temperatures in a short period of time.

I know so far that I will need a low back pressure, 115v 60hz, r134a compressor. I just do not know how much power I will need. Any input would be appreciated, thanks everyone

Re: Need some advice on engineering project

You choose a compressor based on it's capacity of cooling at your design evaporating temperature.

The first thing you will need to do is calculate how much cooling you need.

Re: Need some advice on engineering project

Quote Originally Posted by schryvr20 View Post
    I am trying to design and build a mini chiller for a school engineering project. The chiller would have a small cooling compartment enough to fit a few cans.

My problem is that I don't know how to pick a compressor. I need to be able to achieve subzero temperatures in a short period of time.

I know so far that I will need a low back pressure, 115v 60hz, r134a compressor. I just do not know how much power I will need. Any input would be appreciated, thanks everyone
    A few cans of what?

BEER.........................

I would treat the cans as water and you can quickly calculate heat content of water.

Trouble is you work in old money and I work in new (metric as apposed to imperial)
    so you would be talking of say a maximum of a gallon of water or a pint maybe???

I would use a kilogram (a litre) of water.

But it should be easy enough.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..