Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
Tyco, super fridge how can I make this happen in a test?

what pressure liquid ammonia, is it sub cooled or anything special?
Any particular velocity or leak size.

What atmospheric conditions would I require, outside or in a freezer.

I'm not trying to be smart, but trying to understand it without reinventing the wheel.
Why would a phenomenon like that be replicated within a running system!
I'm still trying to find any literature on it that really explains it.

The small tidbits I have picked up and read says that ammonia in a liquid/aerosol form will draw heat from itself as well as the surroundings, causing the temperature to drop below the boiling point of -33C and reach a temperature close to the melting point of -77.7C.

so on that account, I'm guessing it should be possible to use a temperature probe in a spray of ammonia aerosol, As with everything in refrigeration and refrigerants I'm also guessing it needs a certain pressure drop down to atmospheric pressure. I don't think it would happen with a release to atmosphere from a LP liquid line

I'm also guessing that it would certainly happen when charging a system at deep vacuum and I intend to test this when I next charge a system.
We have had cases on some of our RSW systems, where the charging valve is at the bottom of the chiller level indicator, where the level indicator (Danfoss AKS 41) has been broken after charging the system.
Noticeable on most of them were that the bottom of the teflon/white covering was bulging out