Need some advice on engineering project

I am trying to design and build a mini chiller for a school engineering project. The chiller would have a small cooling compartment enough to fit a few cans.

My problem is that I don't know how to pick a compressor. I need to be able to achieve subzero temperatures in a short period of time.

I know so far that I will need a low back pressure, 115v 60hz, r134a compressor. I just do not know how much power I will need. Any input would be appreciated, thanks everyone

Re: Need some advice on engineering project

You choose a compressor based on it's capacity of cooling at your design evaporating temperature.

The first thing you will need to do is calculate how much cooling you need.
    I'm back on the Pale

Re: Need some advice on engineering project

Quote Originally Posted by schryvr20 View Post
    I am trying to design and build a mini chiller for a school engineering project. The chiller would have a small cooling compartment enough to fit a few cans.

My problem is that I don't know how to pick a compressor. I need to be able to achieve subzero temperatures in a short period of time.

I know so far that I will need a low back pressure, 115v 60hz, r134a compressor. I just do not know how much power I will need. Any input would be appreciated, thanks everyone
    A few cans of what?

BEER.........................

I would treat the cans as water and you can quickly calculate heat content of water.

Trouble is you work in old money and I work in new (metric as apposed to imperial)
    so you would be talking of say a maximum of a gallon of water or a pint maybe???

I would use a kilogram (a litre) of water.

But it should be easy enough.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..