York Screw YRTDTB

An old customer called me out the other day to look at his York chiller. He has been experiencing nuisance trips on "low oil level" in the tank / separator. I started looking for the tank sensor but after going over the entire tank the only external connection is for the heater, no sensor to be found. I have watched it trip when the oil level is at the half line in the upper glass so I don't believe it is a true fault but a false one. Question is if there is no level sensor in the tank then how does York classify this safety? Do they look at oil pressure? When it did trip the oil was stable as very little foaming and the chiller was about 60% loaded with 82 ent cond water and 45 lvg chilled water. Thanks for the help.

Re: York Screw YRTDTB

Hi Arizona Tech.
    Are you sure the fault is "Low Oil Level"?
    Diff or Pressure would make sense!
    No-one I know that knows these machines recognises the fault you describe!
    I am told to ask is it on a Optiview panel?
    If so, there is no low oil level fault within the software.
    Grizzly

Good morning Grizzly,

I was standing in front of the chiller and watched the low level light flicker on / off with the actual level between the two sight glasses. I am with you on this as I cannot find a sensor or even a lead going to the separator other than the heater. Yes it is an Optiview panel. the chiller was started in June of '07. During the time it flickered the diff and actual pressures were well within the guide lines and the oil in the separator was clear as well, very little refrigerant. Is it possible that in the setup screen there is an option that lets you either accept a level sensor or not if that certain chiller does not have one?
    Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Gents,
    Found the level sensor. It is actually located on the lvg line from the tank. Appreciate all that contributed to the discussion.