Henry Oil separator plugged

I have a 2 Henry oil separators on a Hill Phoenix rack that are collecting all the oil and not supplying it back to the reservoir for distribution to my regulators. Its a S-5203. I figured out the problem. Now I need to learn my best approach of repair. I have to travel an hour or better back in the sticks to this place and the closet place for any parts is the same distance. I like to go prepared. I have never service an oil separator before. I have a internal drawing of this and know how it works. I am thinking my outlet is plugged or my float has malfunctioned. Any friendly advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Henry Oil separator plugged

Make sure first there isnt a blocked oil filter between seperator and resevoir or closed valve on resevoir .If not just isolate seperator ,degas and open gently with a big container under for the oil inside. Give it a good clean and check float moving freely,blow nitrogen through to clear out tube and reassemble.Change oil filter and no harm to isolate compressors and clean internal oil filters if present.I have never had to change a seperator float but have come across a few blocked up with dirt

Sounds like cleansing it is needed,as the previous poster said would make sure about changing/cleansing all the filters on the system and changing the oil making sure to use the correct type.

Yeah just remember to fully isolate the separator before gently opening, otherwise it gets messy! (Not that I have ever made that mistake ).

The reservoir pressure would also require checking.
    If to high or no pressure difference then no flow from oil separator's
    Guessing it should be about 15 to 25 psi higher than maximum suction pressure.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I am hoping my isolation valves still work. I haven't been so lucky on other sections on this rack. I have checked to ensure the reservoir is open. It does have a sporlan drier down stream of it before the regulators. I will go through it and let you know. Thanks

Is it an an impingement style separator? If so make sure the impingement screen isn't blown out. If it is new separator, if not get a separator float(if it is removable) and change that.

Check that the sporlan drier is a strainer for oil not your regular liquid line drier.

Quote Originally Posted by Coorsman777 View Post
    Is it an an impingement style separator? If so make sure the impingement screen isn't blown out. If it is new separator, if not get a separator float(if it is removable) and change that.
    So I am clear, "if the screen is blown out of place" separator is toast? I have two that are plugged or not working. S-5294 and S-5203. They both use the same float. I have read that at the screen the oil drips down and the gas escapes. With out the screen its shot? Thanks for the help.

Yes if the screen is ripped the separator is toast. The oil passes through opening where it ripped rather than through the screen and does not separate the oil from the refrigerant. This is a common occurance on low temp R-22 systems or very dirty systems. The junk left behind from running high discharge temps and the oil breaking down plugs this screen.

I just looked up the M#'s you gave and those are helical and no the impingement so that isn't your problem. I would swap the floats. Buy a new one for an easy swap out. Then you can clean the old one up and use it again if you run in to a plugged or dirty float.

I always carried a clean float on the truck and anytime I did an oil change or had a plugged float i would use the clean float and clean up the one I took out. I probably only purchased 2 new floats in 10 years but probably swapped out about 30 of them.

Sorry I was a little long winded but hope it helped.

Snap some pics of the old floats and post them. Curious to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Coorsman777 View Post
    Yes if the screen is ripped the separator is toast. The oil passes through opening where it ripped rather than through the screen and does not separate the oil from the refrigerant. This is a common occurance on low temp R-22 systems or very dirty systems. The junk left behind from running high discharge temps and the oil breaking down plugs this screen.

I just looked up the M#'s you gave and those are helical and no the impingement so that isn't your problem. I would swap the floats. Buy a new one for an easy swap out. Then you can clean the old one up and use it again if you run in to a plugged or dirty float.

I always carried a clean float on the truck and anytime I did an oil change or had a plugged float i would use the clean float and clean up the one I took out. I probably only purchased 2 new floats in 10 years but probably swapped out about 30 of them.

Sorry I was a little long winded but hope it helped.

Snap some pics of the old floats and post them. Curious to see.
    I will post some pics and no worries about being long winded. I am the same way- I like a clear picture. Turns out I have about 7 Superior ball valves that don't hold (isolate) I am not really using 7 but at least 3 or 4. I have to pull the gas, all 1000 lb.s. I recommended replacing the ball valves at the same time. They put the repair off till April 1st. So expect a delay on the pics till then. Thank you for your input. I have two new floats on hand for the job. New oil filter and of course driers.