Hybrid View

Re: Want to build a refrigerator-like cooling for my cpu

Quote Originally Posted by EDDC View Post
    back to the Nitrogen. a well ventilated area should be used for safety since one pure wiff supposedly will make your body think it doesn't need to breathe & you won't. i'm still alive so i can't speak from experience.

EDDC
    Not quite, pur N2 will not trigger the alarms in your brain that let you know you aren't geting oxygen, thus you wont panick, you'll simply pass out, and unless you get air you'll die from no O2. Your body never evolved an alarm for N2 due to the abundance to it in the air, only CO2 will set off our inbuilt alarm.

Flooded system

I was thinking of completely submerging a PCB in a pressure vessel and using circuit board laquer and maybe foam filler on the main board to insulate the board electrically. Exposing only a passive heat sink to the refrigerant. Without testing I can almost see some kind of chemical reaction taking place. I do know of a liquid that is used in the particle accelerator of the ANU that is non-conducting. I am unsure what kind of properties it has as a refrigerant, but it does boil at room temp as they have to pump down the system on a yearly basis for maintenance.

Glycol

My other idea is to use a glycol system from a beer chiller to pump through a standard water cooler. Set glycol temp, start pump isnt that ez'r?? Short of that, I have an orange juice cooler, commonly found in service stations that i may use for the glycol.

Phase change

Again using the circuit board laquer and foam filler, to avoid the question of condensation (also that upgrades are impossible once system is set up), I am thinking of drilling 1/4 inch(or smaller) holes through a passive heatsink and doing the whole tx thing, by extending the copper just far enough away from the alluminum to avoid melting. Or try to get a copper cooling block.... Electronic tx valves running off a bridge rectifier should work for tx controll, if u can get a small enough valve. I am not really concerned about flexible hoses, as this system is not able to be upgraded once installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdx View Post
    Flooded system

I was thinking of completely submerging a PCB in a pressure vessel and using circuit board laquer and maybe foam filler on the main board to insulate the board electrically. Exposing only a passive heat sink to the refrigerant. Without testing I can almost see some kind of chemical reaction taking place. I do know of a liquid that is used in the particle accelerator of the ANU that is non-conducting. I am unsure what kind of properties it has as a refrigerant, but it does boil at room temp as they have to pump down the system on a yearly basis for maintenance.

Glycol

My other idea is to use a glycol system from a beer chiller to pump through a standard water cooler. Set glycol temp, start pump isnt that ez'r?? Short of that, I have an orange juice cooler, commonly found in service stations that i may use for the glycol.

Phase change

Again using the circuit board laquer and foam filler, to avoid the question of condensation (also that upgrades are impossible once system is set up), I am thinking of drilling 1/4 inch(or smaller) holes through a passive heatsink and doing the whole tx thing, by extending the copper just far enough away from the alluminum to avoid melting. Or try to get a copper cooling block.... Electronic tx valves running off a bridge rectifier should work for tx controll, if u can get a small enough valve. I am not really concerned about flexible hoses, as this system is not able to be upgraded once installed.
    did you post blind folded or did you roll dice and then go "Ah HA that thread has nothing to do with what I want to say so I'll say it any ways as the dice landed on 2!"

How did you manage to join up even?

Please read the posting rules and be for hitting "Submit reply" look at the thread does it make sense what you say there? If not make your own new thread.
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 10-11-2008 at 06:17 PM.