What's the difference?

Hi

Im currently in my second year of my apprenticeship and I am thinking about what direction I want my career to head in the future. Currently my experience has been a mix of shop fridges, freezers and counters, air con, and to a lesser extent industrial chillers.

Im just wondering if there are any real differnces from what I have experienced so far and transport refrigeration?

Thank you

Re: What's the difference?

one is dirty horrible and s.h.i.t.t.y
    the other is very dirty horrible and s.h.i.t.t.y

Well Put RB.
    All of us earn our money but in my opinion the transport guys win hand down for potential unpleasant environments.
    The financial rewards may well be there though?
    Honest answer afor, learn as much as you can. knowledge will give you choices!

Don't agree,transport is not that bad I do commercial,industrial,transport,seen some very dirty plants in all,but air conditioning yes that's cleaner for sure transport is outside open to elements but if you have a workshop ,steam cleaning facility to clean the unit no problem.if I was you get as many qualifications that you can, and electrical qualifications so you have better routes to chose.

I bow to your greater knowledge where Transport is concerned cadwalader.
    I have only seen guys up ladders outside!
    The Guys I have met though seem to earn a decent wage?
    Grizzly

I have been in transport refrigeration since 1968, not so much now, more commercial these days. Transport refrigeration requires ability to work on: diesel engines, hydraulics, electrics (single and three phase plus DC circuits), electronics, mechanical/transmition systems and of course refrigeration systems. Often out in all weathers and all times of the day and night. And because trucks are not bolted to the ground you sometimes find that when you arrive on site some fool has driven it away. Sometimes they even drive them away when you are working on them, it's happend to me several times over the years. As the other posters have said, there is no substitute for experience, but if you want to work on pure refrigeration then stick to commercial because refrigeration is only a small part of the transport scene. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Don't think transport is an area I will venture into. I think I will stick with the direction I sm going in for now, get my level 3 under my belt, and then have a think where I'd like to go from there.

Think you frightened him off. Transport Refrigeration is a art form of its own. It tests the human spirit.
    The amount of engineers in the UK in the Transport game vs Commercial and Aircon makes the Transport engineer unique. Chose your path wisely Aforr but not always the most trodden will bring you enlightenment.

Air con, domestic - light commercial: good hours. Which means poor OT earnings. Fiddly, often grubby.
    Air con, commercial - industrial: decent hours, more OT. Better, larger gear - higher status.
    Commercial fridge: small stuff is fiddly. LOTS of OT in my experience - whether you like it or not! Consequently good earnings. Back when I was in that side, it was expected that you'd double your basic with OT. Supermarket managers are often unpleasant. Seems a more bitchy side of the industry as well.
    Industrial fridge: good money, few jobs. Big gear. Good industrial guys are even harder to find than good fridgies, according to previous employers.