Is my split system trash? (part two)

Hi all,
    Mid year I asked for advice on wether I should attempt re gassing the split system on my caravan after the copper pipes fractured and let the gas out. I ran the compressor for a few minutes without realizing the pipes were 'bust'. The next day I closed the service valves and taped the pipes off to prevent any more moisture or dust from getting in. I vacumed the outdoor unit down as soon as I got home (which was 3 weeks later.) I have finally got a flexible pipe solution ready to go and a reversible burnout drier to hopefully catch the moisture and any other nasties. As the system was exposed to moisture 5 months ago, would the system be totally trash from the POE oil being exposed to the moisture thereby causing sludge and acid?
    So is it worth having a go at re gassing or best to go out and buy a new one??
    Thanks in advance,
    James.

Re: Is my split system trash? (part two)

Why don't you carry out a long triple vac and then shut off the vac pump and see if your Torr gauge shows any rise in pressure? This will show the presence of any residual moisture.

Failing that, you could always un-braze the compressor and empty out the old oil via the suction port by tipping it up and then re-filling with fresh oil.

Why don't you acid test your oil and see what the damage is?

Hi chillyjag,

I don't see any harm in you having a go at getting your system up and running. You have the stuff there so it's worth a try. As Frank says the oil can be changed in the compressor. We have done this before on scrolls from a water chiller after a burst evaporator, (lots of moisture) and it done the trick. If your going to do it then be particular from the start and you should stand a chance.

Good luck!
    Good luck!

Blog Entries

What is your split-system manufacturer and model number?
    Depending on compressor type, you can and maybe you cannot change the compressor oil. If it is rotary one, usually used in split system for houses, than you cannot change the oil. It is not possible without drilling compressor housing. You can change only compressor, if acid test shows acidity in oil (but, how could you get oil sample from inside of compressor if you cannot change the oil).
    Change of oil is probably must, in your case, since total time for exposure to moist air for POE oil is about 10 min., and you certainly exceeded it.

But, then again, you can install burn-out filter drier (and later change it with regular) and regas the system (after thorough evacuation) and hope for happy outcome.
    Last edited by nike123; 12-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Moist in oil can slowly take out with large capacity dryer or burnout dryer and couple of day running, but are oil acidic (ie. running long time with moist in oil and high head temperature depend low of gas in system) is a different task if you not can tap out oil from compressor. (in case, check if you can take out oil with high pressure pipe on some rotary compressors ie most of oil rest in high pressure motor side and tap out oil with up side down - is very depend how is build internally)

if oil is only slightly acidic and not miss colored (almost water clear in color and not green, brown, black), possible burnout-filter with aluminia inside can take out acidic part and you can continue running on exist oil

hmm misstake copy, remove if possible .