Miele K851 ID Fridge - Working on Super Only

Hi

I have Miele K851 ID Fridge, and it suddenly stopped cooling. On the digital display when you turn it off and on, it comes u with F, then 8, and then flicks to 0. If you press the Super button, the internal fans comes on, and cools down to 2deg (digi display) and you here the compressor kick. Obviously some kind of fault code (I have searched the forum)

I had a Miele engineer turn up yesterday at 3.30pm yesterday (a Friday afternoon) and he reckon the compressor was sticking would then eventually seize and therefore you would need a new compressor at £765.00, but he said it wasn't worth doing as a new one would cost you nearly the same.

However, I don't think that was correct, and I think he couldn't be bothered to find or possibly fixed the fault as it was Friday afternoon. Why would the compressor run ok on super and not run on normal cooling mode?

I would assume that the compressor is ok, so its either a faulty thermostat (however the digital display appears to showing the correct temps) or the PCB board is faulty and not switching on the normal cooling.

Does anyone know whether the super mode just bypasses the thermostat for a period of six hours? If it does then I would think its the thermostat?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Re: Miele K851 ID Fridge - Working on Super Only

700+ quid for compressor robbing *******s, miele is LIEBHERR refrigeration, compressor fitted should be no more than £150
    check out my website www.airkooldomestics.co.uk

your correct- the super switch will override the stat- you say its displaying the correct temperature, so in that case its prob a relay sticking on the pcb- turn it off for 5 mins, start it in normal mode(without super button enabled) wait a few minutes for its start delay then tap near the pcb with a head of a screwdriver- quite hard- if the comprssor starts then it the pcb
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelg View Post
    Hi

I have Miele K851 ID Fridge, and it suddenly stopped cooling. On the digital display when you turn it off and on, it comes u with F, then 8, and then flicks to 0. If you press the Super button, the internal fans comes on, and cools down to 2deg (digi display) and you here the compressor kick. Obviously some kind of fault code (I have searched the forum)

I had a Miele engineer turn up yesterday at 3.30pm yesterday (a Friday afternoon) and he reckon the compressor was sticking would then eventually seize and therefore you would need a new compressor at £765.00, but he said it wasn't worth doing as a new one would cost you nearly the same.

However, I don't think that was correct, and I think he couldn't be bothered to find or possibly fixed the fault as it was Friday afternoon. Why would the compressor run ok on super and not run on normal cooling mode?

I would assume that the compressor is ok, so its either a faulty thermostat (however the digital display appears to showing the correct temps) or the PCB board is faulty and not switching on the normal cooling.

Does anyone know whether the super mode just bypasses the thermostat for a period of six hours? If it does then I would think its the thermostat?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by tonto33 View Post
    700+ quid for compressor robbing *******s, miele is LIEBHERR refrigeration, compressor fitted should be no more than £150
    Your unit has a PCB module and an air sensor that generates the temperature display. It also has a thermostat to control the temperature. The stat is faulty which is why it runs when super cool is pressed, this bypasses the stat setting and runs the compressor for a set period of time and then cancels itself. The stat has been replaced to model K57 L5861. This info should be correct although you did not include your index number which is important when asking for parts, as it designates its production period. I sell the part for around £60.00 + VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by tony randall View Post
    Your unit has a PCB module and an air sensor that generates the temperature display. It also has a thermostat to control the temperature. The stat is faulty which is why it runs when super cool is pressed, this bypasses the stat setting and runs the compressor for a set period of time and then cancels itself. The stat has been replaced to model K57 L5861. This info should be correct although you did not include your index number which is important when asking for parts, as it designates its production period. I sell the part for around £60.00 + VAT.
    Thank you both for your replies. After a day of further investigation, switching it on and off, pressing super button, it appears that, the super cool button starts the compressor, it starts cooling, temp reading drops down to 2 deg. However, I have found that compressor does switch off, the super switch mode light is still on, but the temp reading doesn't read the temp correctly and just stays on 2 deg. If you then switch of the fridge and turn it back on, it will then start reading the temps correctly, and then shows 9deg.

Tony, do you know where is the internal thermistor (temp sensor) located. Is it in the internal fan casing at the top of the fridge. There is white cable going into the PCB board, and this is fan control, but it might also have connection cables for the internal temp sensor?

I would be happy to buy a Thermostat, and PCB module, and internal temp sensor, if you can get them for me? The Serial nr of the fridge, is 85/73034066.

Many thanks

Thank you both for your replies. After a day of further investigation, switching it on and off, pressing super button, it appears that, the super cool button starts the compressor, it starts cooling, temp reading drops down to 2 deg. However, I have found that compressor does switch off, the super switch mode light is still on, but the temp reading doesn't read the temp correctly and just stays on 2 deg. If you then switch of the fridge and turn it back on, it will then start reading the temps correctly, and then shows 9deg.

Tony, do you know where is the internal thermistor (temp sensor) located. Is it in the internal fan casing at the top of the fridge. There is white cable going into the PCB board, and this is fan control, but it might also have connection cables for the internal temp sensor?

I would be happy to buy a Thermostat, and PCB module, and internal temp sensor, if you can get them for me? The Serial nr of the fridge, is 85/73034066.

Many thanks
    Hi, The PCB memory is cancelled on power off, this is due to sensor delay lag. The sensor(air) is located behind the interior light housing. The thermostat is located in the top facia panel and is controlled by your setting knob. under the facia in the corners are two covers and behind them are 2 screws removing these and pulling the facia forward will expose the thermostat. This has 3 terminals power in power to light and power to motor, motor supply feed is the black wire. If you are skilled and have a multi tester you will be able to test if you have 240V on the black wire, if not the stat has failed.
    PS the index number should be something like 164 index 22B this is needed to order parts. It directly after the model number on your rating plate in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by tony randall View Post
    Hi, The PCB memory is cancelled on power off, this is due to sensor delay lag. The sensor(air) is located behind the interior light housing. The thermostat is located in the top facia panel and is controlled by your setting knob. under the facia in the corners are two covers and behind them are 2 screws removing these and pulling the facia forward will expose the thermostat. This has 3 terminals power in power to light and power to motor, motor supply feed is the black wire. If you are skilled and have a multi tester you will be able to test if you have 240V on the black wire, if not the stat has failed.
    PS the index number should be something like 164 index 22B this is needed to order parts. It directly after the model number on your rating plate in the fridge.
    Hi Tony, You were correct, I managed to bypass the stat, by removing the black lead and connecting to the switch side on the stat (not the permanent feed side) and the compressor started up straight away. The index nr is 24E 164. There is a small screw inside the thermostat that sorts of adjusts it, however, I adjusted so that it would run, but its now starting to freeze liquids in the bottom of the fridge. As you say the stat is faulty. I now have to try and get my £75.00 off Miele for the engineer's visit and their estimate quote. Luckily it was a cheque we gave him and therefore we should be able to stop it, but Miele will not like it.

Can you email me your details so that I can purchase a stat off you?

Hi Tony, You were correct, I managed to bypass the stat, by removing the black lead and connecting to the switch side on the stat (not the permanent feed side) and the compressor started up straight away. The index nr is 24E 164. There is a small screw inside the thermostat that sorts of adjusts it, however, I adjusted so that it would run, but its now starting to freeze liquids in the bottom of the fridge. As you say the stat is faulty. I now have to try and get my £75.00 off Miele for the engineer's visit and their estimate quote. Luckily it was a cheque we gave him and therefore we should be able to stop it, but Miele will not like it.

Can you email me your details so that I can purchase a stat off you?
    HI, if you contact me on tonyrandall@live.co.uk I will give you info on obtaining the part.
    Regards, Tony.