I am trying to get a refrigeration system working (Norcold 4407) that is a capillary tube design. It has a new compressor and a good evaporator that are matched (same model). What is missing is a section of the lines between the two. The original design had two 1/4" lines at the compressor end, but then the Delivery line merged inside the Suction line. I believe this is where the smaller diameter capillary tube starts - pls correct if I have this wrong. And it appears that the capillary tube ends at the evaporator, where the liquid turns to gas.

I think I can figure out how to solder up new lines, to include the previously mentioned junction point, if I only knew the original length. The missing original line(s) was about 10' in length from compressor to evaporator, but the exact length from the start of the small diameter capillary tube to the evaporator is the mystery.

How important is the capillary tube length? In other words, will it still work if my replacement capillary tube is off by 1", 3", 12" from the original design?

Also, would it be better, worse or as bad to make the new cap tube longer rather than shorter? I'm trying to figure out if I have to take an educated guess, should I err in one direction over another.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.