old butcher serve over

i was asked to have a look at an old butcher serve over chill, its about 4 meter in length with two seprate evaps and three storage compartments underneath. He has a burst evap red dye and oil everywhere. he has not got a clue what gas its charged with. There is no stamps on unit or on comps. I am going back during the week to check running pressure on good unit, when he has power.
    The only thing that i can go on is the liquid drier which is marked for r12,r22,r500. anyone any idea what gas is probally in there. I am hoping its not r12. And can anyone tell me the running back pressure in r12. cheers

Re: old butcher serve over

My money is on it being R12, one of the gas co's used to make R12 with a dark red dye in it to stain pipes where leaks were. (not to be confused with uv dye which can look red in undiluted form)

Should be able to run it on an R12 drop in such as R437A/R49plus. Might be better to replace the whole thing though depending n the condition of the rest of it.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

it's likely to be on a tev so that ill be marked. otherwise the compressor will have a model number or the condensing unit.

either way what use is knowing what the back pressure of a gas which has leaked out and will need replacing help??

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    it's likely to be on a tev so that ill be marked. otherwise the compressor will have a model number or the condensing unit.

either way what use is knowing what the back pressure of a gas which has leaked out and will need replacing help??

Thanks for the reply, couldent quite get to tev (facing wrong way), wanted back pressure to check right hand unit which is working. Will be returning during the week to repair burst evap. I am thinking it prob is r12 as unit is about 20 year old. Butcher just wants it up and running for his busy christmas rush. Usual with these kind of jobs, gave him a price for new condensing unit (r404a). But he wants a quick fix.