Newbie with a question

Hey everyone!

im new to this forum, and just have a quick question, but il lay down a bit of background on myself first

i recently just got a job as a TA (tradesmans assistant)/labourer for an electrical/air conditioning company, its great, iv only been there for about a month and iv learnt heaps already about the basics

anyway my question is this

i know that in general 1 horsepower converts to about 0.746 kilowatt, but i was working with my collegue today who is a qualified fridgey (refridgeration mechanic) and we were looking at a unit.. it was a 16 KW unit

anyway i commented on how that would be about 22 HP, and he told me it wasnt... and that a HP converted to about 2.55 kilowatts... now i am reasonably intelligent and have always "known" that a kilowatt is roughly 4/3 hps, but i know he does know what he is talking about..... so im a bit confused?

i did some quick research on the internet, and most sites told me what i thought, but i found one that mentioned the 2.55 business, just wondering if someone here could clarify?

i dont know if it has something to do with the fact that we are in australia??

anyway thanks in advance guys

Re: Newbie with a question

In AC field ,1 HP means system cooling capacity some time, so it's around 2.55kw=1 hp cooling capacity.It's not strict definition,but it's an ABC for fridgy guy

regards
    LC
    I hear...I forget;I see...I remember;I do...I understand

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Also remember that they could be talking about kW as a heat item not strictly as a power rating thing.

If you had a 3kW fan heater would you consider it to be a 4hp unit, it just doesn't sound right does it?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

When talking about Horsepower on a/c units, it is usually referenced to the output, not the input. It is true that 1 horsepower equates to around 0.746 Kw, but that relates to the input for example the input current, the cooling power is often over 2.5 to 3.5 times the input power (or sometimes known as COP). In this case a 22 Hp system is in the region of over 50 or 60kW (in refrigeration) because that is the cooling or refrigerating power.
    a problem shared is a problem halved

Quote Originally Posted by AcidSlasher

i know that in general 1 horsepower converts to about 0.746 kilowatt, but i was working with my collegue today who is a qualified fridgey (refridgeration mechanic) and we were looking at a unit.. it was a 16 KW unit

anyway i commented on how that would be about 22 HP, and he told me it wasnt... and that a HP converted to about 2.55 kilowatts... now i am reasonably intelligent and have always "known" that a kilowatt is roughly 4/3 hps, but i know he does know what he is talking about..... so im a bit confused?
    Used to describe the output of A/C systems, horse power usually refers to the nominal mechanical capacity of the compressor. If this is the case there is no meaningful way to convert it to thermal capacity. It's best ignored. The actual capacity of the machine in kW will be declared by the manufacturer relating to acepted rating conditions.

This link takes you to an interesting fact sheet on the subject.

http://www.arema.com.au/HP_fact_sheet.pdf

________
    Toyota USA Automobile Museum
    Last edited by Argus; 07-02-2011 at 09:57 AM.