17 year old a/c.

This morning was going well. New 5 HP 3 phase compressor and suction + liquid driers were delivered yesterday. 30 minutes drive to the job site and i found a parking spot right outside the business premises where i needed to be, aaand 8 hours free parking. 34 degrees C was the forecast temperature but i reckon i'll be on the buildings roof for maybe 4 hours.

The old Lennox ducted a/c had blown the valves on stage 1 compressor, so stage 2 was struggling. At least the office personnel had reasonable cooling until i had the new compressor running.
    A few hours later, i brought the new compressor on line and continued charging to specifications then.......BAM...power failure.
    Not only for the A/C but for all of this busy premise.

I thought the new compressor had failed...Nope. Electric company was called but no problems from pole supply. Circuit breaker FINALLY found in the PUB's main board next door. FFS!!

Reset and climb back on the roof to power up the A/C.....Nothing but a charred circuit board......

TL,DR. ( Too long, didn't read) Swapped out one faulty compressor on a 2 stage Air-Conditioner only to have the Printed Circuit Board fail and now there is NO Air-Conditioning and bugger all chance of finding another.......
    Last edited by mikeref; 31-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Re: 17 year old a/c.

BTW, Next Tuesday is when this sports betting premises has THOUSANDS of punters through it's doors for the Annual "Melbourne Cup" Horse race.... the pressure is now on me to find a solution.
    Last edited by mikeref; 31-10-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Yeh..I'm an old prick but i know how to make the a/c function for next Tuesday.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Hi Mike

Bit of a bummer, that one!

Is it a US or European built Lennox? It's just possible you could get a new board from overseas if Heatcraft (who are the local Lennox agent, I believe) can't help.
    Alternatively, could you retrofit an Innotech IPC?
    http://www.innotech.com.au/Products/...IPCSeries.aspx

If in doubt rip it out

Sounds like it needs replacing ASAP get them to get their hands in the pockets

Hard wire it with some old tech relays, will get systems going.

Hi Mike
    Bugga!!! not good. Hope you can get it resolved before next Tuesday otherwise those punters and going to be pretty hot especially if it's the same temp with the humidity you get up there.
    Good luck mate.
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

Freezer G, Heatcraft have found a board but it will take 2 to 3 weeks to get here. Too slow as i'm squeezed for a solution now. Retrofit? Yes.
    Lee'83, this old a/c has kept on chugging with bugger all problems for near 17 years. Reckon it can survive another 10 with some TLC. ( No rust and very little corrosion.)

Magoo and Paulz, I was seriously considering running a temporary set up for basic a/c operation until the new board was here. Now i've teamed up with a refrigeration crew from Cairns that looks after this companies assets on the coast. Next Monday morning we'll meet at the Mareeba premises and retrofit the old Lennox.
    Last edited by mikeref; 01-11-2013 at 08:18 AM.

2-3 weeks??!!! B. S!!!!
    That's a standard delivery, consolidated shipment, we-can't-be-arsed-to-pull-our-finger-out type deal.
    If they know where it is, it can be got to you within 48hours MAX, if the client will pay for the express delivery.

Anyway, good luck with the retrofit. Would be interested to see / read about the end result & any problems you encounter.

Don't worry 'bout them fancy 'lectronics..

What you need is one of them old fashioned pull cord light switches connected - when theys feelin a bit stuffy, they just pulls the cord!

Pull the cord HVACR? If it were only that simple.

The guys from the city showed up around 2 PM this afternoon.
    After showing them the "Ins and outs" of the a/c, i was soon put to work jerking wires.
    It took the 3 of us about 5 hours to have this A/C Running.

There were a few dramas as the control circuit was 26V AC, the sump heaters and condenser fans were 2 phase, the building had a false ceiling fitted under the original ceiling, ( about 3 foot lower) and some wires somehow disappeared between the indoor control and roof mounted A/C.....hence my recruitment to running cable.

Lift a tile here? Nope. lift another.. Still no access through the original ceiling. Time to use a hammer.... Numerous data cables laid on the suspended ceiling tiles from the recently upgraded network prevented me from taking a decent swing. Challenge accepted.