Capacity Control of Chilled Water Plant

Hi Engineers and Technicians ,

Capacity control with several One-Compressor Chillers connected to a primary-secondary pumping system or "put all your eggs in one basket” with a Chiller with multiple-compressors . . . ?

Your opinión is important !
    Last edited by Carlos Barrantes; 24-10-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Capacity Control of Chilled Wate Plant

A chiller with multiple compressors would be my choice. Your not really putting all your eggs in one basket with this approach. Chillers rarely fail! Of course all applications are different and I know I can be proved wrong. Regardless, that my two cents.

Re: Capacity Control of Chilled Water Plant

Hi, Carlos Barrantes

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Barrantes View Post
    Hi Engineers and Technicians ,

Capacity control with several One-Compressor Chillers connected to a primary-secondary pumping system or "put all your eggs in one basket” with a Chiller with multiple-compressors . . . ?

Your opinión is important !
    Here we have a huge meat industry with 8 ammonia screws (STAL-Stalectronic 300, SABROE with Unisab II) for tunnels, flake ice machines and some other facilities ....

and then again ammonia 8 screw chillers with UNISAB III ... connected to glycol system ...

all above connected to kind of SCADA ... starting and stopping compressor according to working hours

all is working fine ... of course little more expensive ...

I'll suggest you at least 2 chillers with multiple compressors ... then again the most important is application ... so this can be wrong either ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Re: Capacity Control of Chilled Wate Plant

Hi Carlos
    If you use separate chillers it would be an expensive exercise.
    Depending on you application and how critical the chilling requirements are will determine if you use one chiller or several. I wouldn't use capacity control as the criteria to select a chiller or chillers.
    As stated by passandscore most modern chillers are pretty reliable and if they have multiple compressors you can still chill with one compressor out.
    If the chilling process is critical I would use two smaller chillers with multiple compressors, as Josip ha said, that way if one chiller fails the other can still produce some chilling even if it doesn't meet full requirements.
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

Re: Capacity Control of Chilled Water Plant

Hello colleagues ,

Clarify that the discussion is mainly about Water Chillers with centrifugal or screw compressors , refrigerant 134A , S-T flooded evaporator .

My opinion is that these Chillers with multiple compressors have independent refrigeration circuits in a single evaporator and a single condenser . A failure in one or more tubes of the evaporator or condenser affects the entire Chiller . Additionally using 1.3 Kg or more refrigerant per Ton .

The advantage of using several chillers with Single-Compressor is that a failure affects only one of several Chillers . Additionally , I can use a Plate Evaporator and as a result low refrigerant charge .