Cheers and Gone! - Couriers!

Hi Guys.
    How many have suffered similar at the hands of the drop it and run Postal couriers?

Yesterday myself and a colleague (2 men because we were to work on a live Ammonia system).
    Were waiting on a before 10.00hrs ORV valve delivery, to a extremely large site.
    Having advised the site security / gatehouse and main reception prior. We did not expect any issues!
    However by 10.30'ish we started to wonder where said parcel was?
    Despite checks with site personnel at various locations on-site and eventually contacting the supplier / courier via our office.
    (delivered to goods in at 08.45 and signed for by "Andy"!)
    It was 14.15 hrs before we tracked the parcel down, which had been delivered to the V.M.U.
    (Vehicle garages at the end of the site ..70acres!)

Where the stores said "Oh yes! We get site deliveries for most of the site and "Andy" had indeed signed for said TNT parcel at 09.50.

Apparently the couriers like the fact that the parcels can just be left by the garage doors (Which was were ours was.) and cut and run.

Because of this fiasco despite a well planned early (and paid for!) delivery the day was abandoned. With a return visit required today to have enough works time to complete the task!

We as a company have now lost on this job because of the labour and it is simply because of the cheers and gone delivery driver mentality.

Grizzly (Well I am today!)

Re: Cheers and Gone! - Couriers!

Mate, that's force majoure (sp?) & the time is therefore chargeable in my book.
    You did all that you could to ensure an accurate, on time delivery.

I paid for a before 8am delivery and waited in for it, by the time it was obvious it wasn't going to turn up the day was wasted.

It arrived just before 10am the next day, the driver was really pleased with himself at beating the 10am threshold till i pointed out that (a) it was a before 8am delivery and (b) a day late...

Now, if possible, i book the job in once the parts have arrived, though of course there are situations where you just have to try and get it working asap.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Couriers! I feel your pain, but we now issue technicians mobile numbers to the couriers on despatch saving endless headaches!

Good old Danfoss ORV valves about as reliable as a chocolate teapot!!
    Bring back the reliable Amot valves, I do not ever recall having changed a failed Amot valve, even on really old plants. That Danfoss rubbish does not even get through the warranty period.

By the way when you remove one have a look at the valve carrier it is flimsy and nasty! I think that this is actually getting stuck closed rather than failing due to the wax element. Let me know what you think Grizzly.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Hi hookster.
    Yeah! Cheap and nasty and made in China.
    The old Amots can occasionally fail at maybe 10/20 yrs.
    I don't actually know anyone who has had to change one.
    Whereas the Danfoss Orv's are failing so often our supplier stocks them 2 at a time.
    Says it all really.

I have spoken about these before so it is a worn out subject.
    But "cheers and gone" maybe not!
    Oh! Site security were vetting all deliveries for me but this one still got through!
    Grizzly

The one I have is getting parts delivered to site, and the person who signed for it hides it in a locked cleaners cupboard or lift motor room instead of leaving it by goods in, because that would be too easy! Lol VMU is it a supermarket distribution centre?

Hi hookster,
    we are doing a field test with a new reinforced ORV valve. I'll let you know

When I worked for a wholesaler you could see the deliveries which had feck up written all over them. Timed deliveries because the job was on a tight timescale. Call the courier after recieving a call from an irate contractor and get the standard answer of 'he's just around the corner, won't be long now'. Ends up with contractor aborting the day, wholesaler crediting contractor to keep him sweet, argue with courier but small print (as the wholesalers) says not responsible consequential losses but they care less about keeping their customers.

Found for best results deliver it yourself!

Cheers,
    Andy, wasn't me who signed for it either :-)
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

my old lot were keen on getting parts delivered direct to site- as 9 times out of 10 theyre wrong, you try and find who signed for it and when youfind it,unbox it its damaged
    ive taken a fan motor to oxford (160 mile) to get a work permit, to then gain access to the server room only to unbox it and find a lug damaged on the motor- box was perfect, on other occasions ive opened compressors that were 6wk lead time to find damaged/kinked suction stubbs- 1 panasonic compressor turned up for r22 and had mineral oil in it- now recently had mitsi heavy 600sq cassettes arrive with damaged driptrays as the motor lug broke and again packaging immaculate- i dont know if the drivers wear bubble wrap on their boots whe they kick stuff about the wagon
    also had norbert detressangle deliver daikin rzq140's with the tilt tag broken- my final question is who can tip a 120kg condenser without even a fingerprrint on the cardboard??

Here you go guy's. At least your spares will arrive on time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzRPga6uDg
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.