Thread: Three's

Three's

Is it just me or does it sometimes seem that in the service buisness failures come in three's. I can't count the number of times that I had to replace 3 of the same item on different completely unrelated jobs. Like 3 condenser fans in a week or 3 blower wheels or 3 belts. It always seems the failures come in groups. Never the same site and the failure may be the same or not. One fellow told me that it's the built in fail time for that component!
    Mike Hopkins

sods law

coinsedences grouped into logic perhaps.

I thought that myself. How about 3 condenser fans on the #3
    circuit, now that one made me think. Instead of being here or there it was all at once and all bearing related failure. I don't think they all failed at once though That circuit has 4 fans and can usually run on 2 in mild weather. Just another coinsidence.

Mike Hopkins

I think the owner of that establishment probably wronged a service technician some time back... the service tech has since passed on. And now his ghost is getting some payback! LOL!!

Just kidding of course!
    :D
    Dean
    Subzero*psia

Extinction is simply proof of failure to adapt.

Not only is the spirit of "3's" a science of its own but the names of customers or street names seems to follow this every so often. Mr Young, on Dove Hollow; Mrs Dove on Youngs Road and the Hollow Man on Main Street, (the last one is a bad example but you get the idea).

Has for copmponent my theroy is this: Because the equipment is usually in the same geographical area and has been working through some of the same time periods the stress on peticular components is semilar. Therefore, it follows that the motors or other components fail at what seems like coinsendental times. While the real reason is the life of the components is just exhausted at the same time. If this happpens on 3 different pieces of equipment at the same time its consendence. And the only conisendence is the date of failure. The origonal startup date is more than likely not even close. If it is on the same piece of equipment I suspect power comming in or something that can affect all components at once.

Then again, I've heard of people from K-Pax.......
    Last edited by farfield; 09-06-2002 at 10:19 PM.

Everytime I change I change a fan motor......."I KNOW"" there are another two or three to follow..........it just happens, I dont know why!!!

Now look at today...........Im not in selling mode at the moment, I just want to relax in my garden and not do anything,

And what happens???

I get pestered by a shop who wants not one, but two air conditioners!!! He doesnt even want a price from me, just order the darn things!!!

Then the Chinese Restaurant orders a brand new stainless steel cabinet, I dont order it, I tell him Its expensive, he says it dont matter,........just order it!!!

Hmmm.........Im thinking...............One more to go!!!

Yes its true, might be fan motors one week, compressors the next. Might be nothing the week after.........who cares

I believe God is there providing me sustenance, he determines and looks after my means

Terra
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Three's are a psychological thing for us human beans. Past, present, future... a trinity... ready, set, go... the time-honored rhetorical device to say the same thing in a speech 3 different ways, or different things in the same way (Veni, Vidi, Vici) etc. When I memorize long numbers.. like phone numbers I favor groups of three. We handle a beginning, a middle, and an end handily when mentally grouping thought.

It is not so much the motors, or natural disasters or airplane crashes happening in three's as it is our waiting for the third thing to happen so we can mentally close the book and rest before the next three things happen.

It helps in trouble shooting to think at least that simply: Something is broken, why is it broken, how do I repair it?

Dan is quite a philosopher!

Mike Hopkins

Re: Three's

Georgeh, might be worth something to you if you check the date above last persons post, could be a little late to reply.. 8+ years ago.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.