Thread: Pipe trap riser

Pipe trap riser

Hi all

I have some questions regarding the design of the routing in a small split AC system. I can see that there are many different kinds of things you have to consider when designing these systems. One of them is to be sure not to trap the compressor oil in the system, and therefore P trap and base trap risers are used. Is there any particular places these risers are put? Or is it on any vertical pipe line?

Furthermore i see that the horizontal lines need to have a slight downgoing slope, is this for every horizontal pipeline or only in combination with traps?

Thanks in advance
    NoJosh

Re: Pipe trap riser

most splits dont req oil traps, refer to the installation manual for clarification

Only ever used traps on large tonnage central units on long vertical runs where the condensing unit is higher than the air handler, usually every 30 feet. And when the compressor is either in the condensing unit or air handler.

Like I.M. says, follow the manufacturers data and their reccomendations, then at least then if there's a problem afterwards, you might be able to apply warranty conditions to any failure arising from slugging.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Okay thank you for your response, i guess only big systems have traps then