Restricted Heat Exchanger

Cellar cooling system . Evaporator iced up, landlord tried to break off the ice with a screwdriver and wham, pierced a nice hole in a tube.
    Fitted new drier and started up the unit. System low pressure went into a deep vacuum. I thought , well there must be moisture , ice water ingress and expansion valve is frozen up, but after delivering some warmth to the valve system remained in deep vacuum. Then I noticed ice, frost on the liquid exit from the heat exchanger. I remember reading somewhere that these components are prone to damage. I bypassed the heat exchanger.
    How common is this problem and whats the cause?
    Last edited by Abe; 01-11-2001 at 07:18 PM.

Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Hello Marc,

This cellar has no system pump down, interconnected by thermostat. Therefore no solonoid valve either. Condensing Unit situated on a horizontal line approx 10 metres away. Condensing Unit Prestcold 1 hp unit. Liquid line 3/8" Low side 5/8"
    Probably sizes dont matter but Ive put them in just so you get picture. Heat exchanger located just before evaporator.

I wonder what was happening in the system for this to happen. System is about ten years old, maybe a touch more. Anyway just glad I found the problem and sorted. Thx for your help Marc

Abe
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.