Thread: Oyster tank

Oyster tank

Hi guys I'm looking to pick a few brains a family member is in the oyster farming business and because of the good weather in the summer he lost a lot of stock so his plan for next summer is to build 2 large tanks to put the oysters in during the summer he needs to chill the water to 14 degree c so he is looking for me to sort some kind of cooling so I am trying to think of the best way of doing it. I was thinking of just getting a water chiller a connecting that or putting pipes in the tank and connecting a condensing unit with a agitator in the water . Has anybody any ideas or know of a better way . Cheers

Re: Oyster tank

I used to work on plants that cool lobster tanks, if I remember we just had a shell and tube evap hooked up to a copland condensing unit and pumed the water through it. Just used a submersible pump at one end and the return was at the other. Managed to keep the water cold enough during the summer.

Re: Oyster tank

cheap option depending on ltrs of cooling a couple of beer phyton coolers straight in the tanks stainless ends not copper,,,,, or titanium heat exchanger cooled by water cooler or bulk milk tank flow of water will give you enough ajitation really depends of ltr of water