Baumatic BV12.5 Integrated Freezer

Hi. Just bought the above freezer about a month ago. It freezes. My daughter remarked that the our usual brand of ice cream was rock hard and indeed it needed a Kango to get it out. We put two freezer thermometers in to check the temperature and they both read -25°C set between 3-4 on a scale of 1-5. We turned it down to No. 1 and it is reading -22°C. The manual says "The freezer should operate at -15 to -18 degrees Celsius." Having spent the thick end of £300 we want to check this out so we call Baumatic explain the problem and they send an engineer out.
    Come the day, he phones, "Baumatic, I'm on my way" and promptly puts the phone down - this is a good start. He comes in with a face like thunder and is immediately on the defensive saying that the freezer is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and that freezer thermometers are not calibrated (get away!). The manual says: "Do not set the thermostat too low. A change of just one degree can effect the energy consumption by 5%. Use a thermometer to check the temperature". He puts his calibrated meter in the freezer and confirms that the readings are ±1 degree either side of my reading. He then says that the manual is wrong, has a word with his manager who says the manual is wrong and that the freezer is working perfectly. Who is right and do we need to worry??

Re: Baumatic BV12.5 Integrated Freezer

If the manual says it will do -15 to -18 then the unit runs to colder than this on its warmest setting then the stat is either faulty(out of calibration) or its not the right stat fitted. The engineer should either fit the new / correct stat or you should be able to send it back and get a refund as its not doing what the manual says.
    The last thing to leave an engineer is pride!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1mikeefc1 View Post
    If the manual says it will do -15 to -18 then the unit runs to colder than this on its warmest setting then the stat is either faulty(out of calibration) or its not the right stat fitted. The engineer should either fit the new / correct stat or you should be able to send it back and get a refund as its not doing what the manual says.
    Thanks for the reply. As it stands at the moment they are refusing to budge on fitting a new stat and says that I should have been charged for calling them out when there was no fault! You can imagine my reply to that one. Baumatic say that the manual is wrong for that particular model and that they are going to send me a letter to that effect. Would you be happy with that?

If the manufacturer sent the wrong manual see what the difference in the one you get is. Suppose at least it is cooling rather than not cooling enough but personally if it says -15 to -18 I would be telling them their cabinet isn't doing what you want or as is described in the manual sent with the machine. As for you being charged for the call out that's utter rubbish, again if the info sent is wrong how are you meant to know this as the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mikeefc1 View Post
    If the manufacturer sent the wrong manual see what the difference in the one you get is. Suppose at least it is cooling rather than not cooling enough but personally if it says -15 to -18 I would be telling them their cabinet isn't doing what you want or as is described in the manual sent with the machine. As for you being charged for the call out that's utter rubbish, again if the info sent is wrong how are you meant to know this as the end user.
    I think I may have opened up a can of worms here and that's why Baumatic are so defensive.

Maybe pal but if it doesn't do what it says on the tin they're at fault not you. Good luck