Refrigerator problem?

I have a whirlpool fridge and its not very old. I noticed yesterday when i was putting water and soda in the fridge that it didn't feel very cold. I also noticed that is was constantly running. it usually runs for a few minuted and then shuts off. I went to grab some ice cream from the freezer and it was soft and had melted. I have my fridge set on 4, one below the coldest setting. After a couple of hours of it running, i checked again and i feel it blowing cold air but it's not cooling. I called around i cant get service until sometime next week, which is very frustrating. I made a appointment and then decided to head to bed. Since i was worried about my electric bill being high becuase it's constantly running, i turn the fridge down to 3. i woke up this morning fearing the worst and that all my food would be spoiled but to my surprise the fridge is acting normal. I checked the ice cream and it was firm, i checked my soda and water and they were cold. It turns on for a few minutes and then shut off like it should. My question is should i cancel my appointment since its acting normal now? i dont want to spend the money if it not a nessecary. Also, could i just have had my fridge set to cold and it was just working too hard. I live in texas and it is in the upper 90' already. Im just confused as to why yesterday it wasnt working right and now that i turned down the temp one level, it's fine now.

Additional Details
    i checked fridge at lunch and i must have checked on it when it was defrosting so the freezer did get warmer. Does the defrost warm up the feezer that much to thaw out food.

thank you

Advertising Links removed
    Last edited by frank; 03-09-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Re: Refrigerator problem?

The freezer shouldn't get high enough temp to thaw food products unless there is an issue with it. I would let someone look at it for you.
    The last thing to leave an engineer is pride!!

Could be a bad defrost system or a failing start relay and/or cap. Also try cleaning the condenser.

could be due to posting in the wrong areaq, try to post in proper spots and it may fix your problem.
    Now in Redvers Sask.

The possible problem would be the cooling temperature of your fridge or the condenser of it. You need someone to check it and gives you instructions on what to do.