Supermarket work

Is it now only Asda/City that have engineers looking after their own stores, all other companies reactive calls?. Having worked supermarket contracts both ways (reactive and in store) it's quite plain for me to see that the stores get kept in better shape with guys looking after their own stores than with many engineers coming in and out doing reactive calls. I guess this is down to cost as everyone is looking to cut costs in these difficult financial times. Think this is not a way to save money though, with the stores kept in better condition by in store engineers pre empting faults this surely leads to less cases being off sale?, and for less time and inconvenience to the stores, not to mention the monetary loss from not trading from cases and stock loss from breakdowns?. Short term gain for long term pain?.

@neilbrownNB12

Re: Supermarket work

I totally agree with you on that one. I worked for City when the Asda contract first started and was there for 7 years. The stores were in a pretty bad state and after the first few months of working our nuts off we got the area pulled round then we were given allocated stores. You knew what the problem cases/ packs were and because you were in each store on a daily basis you could keep on top of any issues before they became major problems. And it seems to have paid off for City/Asda. With other chains with out dedicated store engineers things which could be pre empted are missed and you can tell by just walking in to plant rooms and see plant faults/ case alarms etc which would be picked up if a dedicated store engineer was on hand.

Re: Supermarket work

never done that kind of work,but yes it makes sense waiting for things to fail? preventitive care is much better than breakdowns/panic not fair to anyone.