seeking advice regarding an evaporator coil change out..

Good day to all,

I am a newbie to this site but really appreciate what I have read in the forums you guys are really great for helping everyone out. which brings me to my dilemma. I have a 3.5 ton heat pump Trane unit that was installed in 1998 and was great when it was good but the evaporator coil has somewhat deteriorated over the years even with my six month interval clean out and is in need of replacement due to flow restriction.

The condenser unit is in great shape and I really didn't want to change it out unnecessarily. I cannot find a Trane replacement without them trying to charge me close to what a new complete system would cost. I have found reasonably priced coils in the market that will run on R-22 as my unit does yet I keep being told that it must be a direct Trane replacement in order for it to work.

I don't believe this but am not as knowledgeable as you guys with the combined thousand plus years of experience and knowledge you bring to this forum. So I present this, for your consideration and advise. Can I replace a Trane 3.5 ton R-22 evaporator coil with a universal replacement coil of the same capacity?

Thanks in advance!
    Josejr

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Re: seeking advice regarding an evaporator coil change out..

Hi Jose
    welcome to the world of OEM spares 'OH MY GOD, ENORMOUS MARGIN'
    If the evaporator is a shell and tube this can be re-tubed. Sounds like its fouled on the water side? this can be descaled and power cleaned, revolving brush etc is it on a Marine application? I would have it cleaned leak check and NDT tested. A close inspection will let you know if tubes have excessive wastage.
    A replacement tube bundle can be created or just replace with a plate.

If you have already found an evaporator that meets design spec then it will work.

I would consider the age cost etc of the chiller and projected life cost for the unit before repair, but in my opinion some of the newer manufacturer models will struggle to make a 10 year life cycle ie. micro bore condensers etc.

oops should read detail more
    Last edited by hookster; 20-08-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: muppet answer
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

can u clarify were talking about an air cooled -finned evap within a ducted system - or as hookster is referring to a water cooled evap

Thanks for the wordsof advice. But I must apologize for not being more specific in my description of the unit. It is a 3.5 ton central air conditioning split system. It is in fact is an air cooled fin tubed evaporater coil within a ducted system. A residential application.

Thanks again.

Thanks I M

Blog Entries

I have never had any trouble mix and matching indoor coils to outdoor units. As long as it is sized correctly and fits the hole you should be fine.

Thank you! I will check into my local supplier Grain... They have a clearance sale on coil s going on this week.