Warning for all VW Transporter T5 owners

I have been just informed by a guy who claims to work for VW that there is a problem with the locking system on the rear door of the Transporter T5.

If the key fob lock button is pressed once, then all doors will deadlock, if pressed twice, then the deadlock will be deactivated as will the interior security (If fitted) This is correct operation. It has been found that in some cases when the button is pressed twice the rear door will be unlocked, leaving your tools open to any passing scrote who wants a tenner for his next bag of crack.

Check your vans out guys, I did and have found that since I have owned the vehicle my tools have been at risk. Off to insert a large garden gnome into my local VW service manager, VW are aware of the problem, but are not letting on.

Karl

Re: Warning for all VW Transporter T5 owners

I've had aditional Dead Locks fitted to our T5's so hopefully our tools are safe - then again nothings safe.

Last year we had a cheque for £7.6K from the insurance for stolen tools and I lost my 24V Dewalt hammer and 18V battery drills stolen twice

Not long now to my new VW Combo with DEAD LOCKS!

Frank,

Do these lock every time that you slam the doors and need to be opened with a key? If so do you have details as at the moment, my security is a joke and it is only a matter of time
    Karl

Karl

I'll PM the details tomorrow (as they are in the office) of the guy who supplied them. The company isn't too far from you - Stafford or thereabouts I believe.

hey Karl where in crewe are you i could do with some new kit, lol. on a more serious note vw polos of late are rumoured to unlock if you boot the front bumper as hard as you can, dont know if thats true or not.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Thanks Frank, Its one of those things that you always get round to after they rip your van off

Funny that you should say that Slingblade, one guy with a T5 thinks, but isn't sure that his locks poped when a fork truck wellied his passenger door.

Can you outrun a German Shepherd?
    Last edited by Karl Hofmann; 23-02-2006 at 12:47 AM.
    Karl

been buying vw transporters since 92 now,had all my tools lifted some 5 years ago now,since then have the maple slam locks on the side and rear doors fitted,bit of a pain using the key all the time but you soon get used to it,allways have a full bulkhead and no glass in the rear too,cut a hole in the bulkhead for pipe etc,that way they cant access the rear from the front and the locks put them off[as much as poss]in the back,mines two years old now and i still love it,174 bhp,6 speed,17"alloys,235x55x17 tyres@£150 each= 12000 miles,ouch.

Ha! you old lead foot, my 174 is coming up to 19000 and still has the original tyres. Sure that I can get my tyres down to around £100 per corner if I try hard.

Ah, I've just noticed that your tyres aren't standard so scratch what I said about price.

Try wearing slippers rather than divers boots, especially on those roundabouts
    Last edited by Karl Hofmann; 05-03-2006 at 08:56 PM.
    Karl

Anybody seen one of those new Merc Vito 123's about? 3.8 litre V6 petrol with 230 bhp apparently. And rear wheel drive. 230bhp + commercial tyres = lots of fun on greasy roundabouts
    Last edited by phil68; 05-03-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Noah had to leave the dinosaurs behind as they would've sunk the boat.

Ha! They are easy to spot, they're the ones with their arse end sticking out of ditches and hedges Just the thing to give to an apprentice.

The Transporter can be a handfull on damp roads, the traction control light spends a large portion of its life flashing at me in the wet
    Karl

The traction control stopped working on my Vito 111 for most of the winter. I always thought that traction control on vans was an unnecessary extravagance, especially on a Vito with rear wheel drive & 'only' 110 bhp, until I had a few 'sideways moments' in the wet when not really going all that fast & with only a small amount of throttle

eeeeer,the wheels and tyres came on it from the fatherland as factory order,common to the 174,not a van tyre though just re-enforced,why wont they do a 174 4motion though? i want one but only the 130 available,just got a 130 for my lad,nice drive.

I think that the 174 4 motion is available, just not in the UK. A buddy who is deeply in to all things Audi and VW says that there was a small batch of 174 4motion T4s in mainland Europe too. Let us know how you find your dealer for service and warranty issues as good VW Van centres are hard to find, the one here in Crewe is total crap, I wouldn't let those idiots walk my dog, let alone allow them to work on my wheeled tool box
    Karl

mine are very good for main dealers,book it in and they will do it while you wait if poss, not saying that they are top class tech,s but there better than the rest i have come accross,let me know if you need any help i can sort it for you as i know them well, about 10 vans worth.mark.

If you really wanted a 174 4-motion I wonder if it would be worth having one imported? My company imported my Vito from Belgium throough an import company & it worked out quite a bit cheaper than buying one here. I have noticed a slight difference in spec to the UK ones but the bit I don't get is that you can buy RHD Belgian-spec vans

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann

The Transporter can be a handfull on damp roads, the traction control light spends a large portion of its life flashing at me in the wet
    Yep my humble 130 bhp kombi does the same, but the traction control is just the ticket in the ice

Wanted a 174bhp but the boss said I needed it like a hole in the head

Must get my 130bhp chipped, better leave it a year or so until the boss forgets

Kind Regards. Andy.

only prob with imports is some warentys are only two years not three and the dealer wont take kindly to it if anything goes wrong, i think all the 174,s would be better off 4 wheel drive, stop eating front tyres and put the power down better onto the black stuff, in all fairness the 130 is a better balanced van i think.

I'm told that there is not much between the 174 and the 130 performance wise when empty, but when fully loaded and with a traile the 174 just keeps going and going.

Going over the penines on the M62 with a plant trailer on and the van loaded to the gunnels, flashing BMWs out of the way is naughty, but good fun

Even with a UK bought van, the 3 year warranty is about as much use as a 3 year warranty on a LG
    Karl

thats not true karl,the vw warrentys i have found to be very good,never had a problem,the opersite realy, done stuff for me a put it through as u/g.also never had a breakdown bar a faultey ing switch in 14 years !!

The 174 is definitely the way to go.

I have one and had a loan of a 130 for a couple of days and there is no comparison.

As for the tyres, I got over 40,000 km out of my first front set and the back ones are still perfect.

And even when I changed them it was well ahead of the "wear limit" marks.

As for the locks, yes it does unlock but VW said they've reprogrammed mine and it seems fine now.
    If it was easy everyone would do it.

t5130 Guest

Can you guys tell me how many miles per gallon you are getting from the latest T5 130?
    Mine has done 2700 miles and is doing 28 - 30.5 on a full tank test with careful driving. Not too good methinks, wondering if anything is wrong.

Hi
    yep sounds about right
    mine does the same. The 172bhp does more and the 105 does nearly 40mpg.
    It does get a bit better I am told when it beaks in.

Kind Regards. Andy

bloody hell andy who told you that!!! i have a 174,my lad has a 130,they both do about 25/30 mpg,that ties up with what the rep tells me,not much differance in the two,price you pay for the grunt.cheers.

t5130 Guest

Thanks Andy
    Bit disappointing as my old Vito 110cdi averaged 35 and would do 40 driven carefully and went like a rocket!

Regards
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Hi
    yep sounds about right
    mine does the same. The 172bhp does more and the 105 does nearly 40mpg.
    It does get a bit better I am told when it beaks in.

Kind Regards. Andy

You can get high thirties from a 174, but you have to drive them by the book and keep the engine in its sweet zone......Untill some scummy chav zips by in his rat box Saxo and you cant resist putting him in his place
    Karl

I find a block of wood screwed in place under the accelerator pedal does the trick

But wouldn't the Chav just unscrew it when you'd gone?
    Karl

get a look at the sport van on the vw site,just to nice.

hey Karl I used to live in Crewe Underwood Lane Got fed up with the traffic and crime garage shed hub caps garden chairs all drew the attention of low life But I do miss the place some times maybe you live in a better area be lucky Andy
    Last edited by andrew lennon; 23-02-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: wrung spelin

Hi Andy,

Yeah I avoid going up underwood lane or anywhere up the West end in Crewe, it is the pits. I live in Wistaston and although some of the kids get a bit noisy, I have had no problems so far.
    Karl

Hi Karl,
    Since I started carrying a Peccary around in the back of my vehicle I dont get even to bother putting on my central locking whilst driving around central locking. I think its the tusks and the little red eyes.
    You gave me some gen on the Samsung side by side ,I think ,a while back.
    Any ideas on it refusing to come back on when the controller cycles. Average room temperature - no alarm faults displayed. Displays set temp for both sides but just doesn't come back on,until switched off/on again.
    Pete the cool

Hi Karl
    For central locking read central London. I'm going to stop letting the Peccary do the typing.
    Pete the cool

All you guys are complaining about nothing. I drive a KIA preggio van, 2.7L 4cyl diesel. It gets 24mpg, it takes more than 5 sec to readline in neutral. It's a bloody tractor motor.
    If you're going up a hill you have your foot to the floor in third and basically redlining it at 4500rpm to maintain 80km/hr. Lift off the throttle or change to fourth and you get sudden decelleration.
    I've driven up steep long diveways where your choice to to burn the clutch all the way up, or lift of the clutch and see the revs drop so much it just stalls.
    It has bugger all load in it too, 200kg max of refrigerant, oxy and tools (I get no stocks of spare parts )
    Last edited by paul_h; 12-07-2007 at 03:55 PM.

they sodded the drive train up good if that! A diesel is the king of torque, it should run at 2 RPM and haul a freighter behind it and people should think its an earth quake!

Hello all,

I had a VW T30 174, easily attained 35mpg and could get to 40mpg when treated right.

VW had to change it (Very long story)

Now have a VW T32 174 and struggle to get 28mpg, in fact very often only returns 25mpg.

Trev

lol_oddy Guest

can anyone help

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me! Im after a set of 22'' wheels for my vw transporter T5 2.5 174 (05 plate) i don't understand the sizes, i know that the stud size is 5x120 but people keep telling me different offset sizes, anything from 38 to 50. i have a set in mind they are 5x120 38, 22'' 9'' and a half. would these be ok?

many thanks

Laurence

Re: can anyone help

Quote Originally Posted by lol_oddy View Post
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help me! Im after a set of 22'' wheels for my vw transporter T5 2.5 174 (05 plate) i don't understand the sizes, i know that the stud size is 5x120 but people keep telling me different offset sizes, anything from 38 to 50. i have a set in mind they are 5x120 38, 22'' 9'' and a half. would these be ok?

many thanks

Laurence
    I think that the best place to get that kind of info would be on the T5 section of the Brickyard... Lots of VW enthusiasts there... I'm less enthusiastic, my exhaust manifold gasket has blown and the welds on the manifold are cracking and leaking... She screams like a pig when I boot it... Should have gone Toyota
    Karl

save yourself money on these expensive locks and install a rotwiller your tools will be safe as houses.

Re: can anyone help

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    I think that the best place to get that kind of info would be on the T5 section of the Brickyard... Lots of VW enthusiasts there... I'm less enthusiastic, my exhaust manifold gasket has blown and the welds on the manifold are cracking and leaking... She screams like a pig when I boot it... Should have gone Toyota
    Hi Karl

Do you know of any T3 breakers?
    I'm in need of a replacement passenger door as the wife kindly reversed into the present one and my repairer suggests it would be cheaper to buy second hand.

2 of our Transporters are playing up at the moment - just 4 1/2 years old and constantly in the repair shop. New engine management module on one, new transmission on the other and now it seems like the injectors are playing up. Luckily enough they are on Maintained Lease so no extra cost to us but both of the last 2 repairs were over £2k each

Hi Frank,
    I'm afraid that I don't know of any T3 breakers but again, perhaps the guys on Brickyard might be able to help. The Transmission on your T5, wouldn't happen to be the clever automatic thingy with two clutches would it.. they have been very problematical.. I'm really glad that I opted for the six speed manual though when it comes to a new clutch, I'll be looking out for a Dual Mass Flywheel conversion to a solid flywheel... I have heard of a lot of guys who have had new turbos because of a pronounced squeel but closer investigation has satisfied me that it is a duff manifold/ gasket resonating like a clarinet reed.. The T5 is not really a good work van and just as VW started to address the problems, they are on the verge of a facelifted van with new super stressed engines... New van, new problems.

Being a tight sod, I do all my own work on the van, so I know that it is done correctly, my local VW dealer sucks
    Karl

Thanks Karl

We don't have a local VW dealer any more. We can take the vans to either Newark or Leicester????
    24 miles one way or 32 the other. Just what you want when you are trying to earn a crust!!

Looks like it won't be VW from now on - disappointing though as the first 3 years were mostly trouble free, much better than the previous Vito's.

Any suggestions on reliable replacements anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post

Any suggestions on reliable replacements anyone?
    How about a VW T4?... My 800 Special never missed a beat.

Regarding the T3 bits, I assume that you have asked arround the T3 forum of the Brickworks or Club 80-90...
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    How about a VW T4?... My 800 Special never missed a beat.

Regarding the T3 bits, I assume that you have asked arround the T3 forum of the Brickworks or Club 80-90...
    Until you posted, I wasn't aware of Brickworks etc..

I'll have an ask around....thanks

john booth Guest

Hi ave got a t5 130 tiptronic kicking out 190.Transmission only lasted 12 months since done b warned, to replace transmission 2.5k, very expensive fun, goes like **** of a shovel, or did.has anybody had any trouble with there tiptronc transmission.

The VW tiptronics are an ever bigger piece of garbage than their DM flywheels.. Lots of problems with standard output, let alone with extra power. It's tricky to find a decent transmission rebuilder for these too. I think that there are a couple of owners at the Brickyard who have had their tiptronics sorted, early models did have a design flaw.
    Karl

taxi246 Guest

Angry Re: Monoxide Poisening in the T5 - Upgrade

Hi Guys, I have just purchased a new T5 and am experiencing monoxide poisening gas. I had the same problems in the 06T5-130 which is why I changed the vehicle. Works done on the 06T5-130 as follows:
    New gaskets on the manfold
    New exhaust system
    New turbos
    All new rubber around doors front and back
    Auxillary heater stripped down and renewed
    Still unable to find the problem so purchased the newer model and the problems is still there. I put in a monoxide detector which kepts going off, have given van back to VW, anyone with any ideas!!!

Mel

The AXE and AXE engined 2.5 vehicles suffer from cracks in the exhaust manifolds... These are the vehicles with a tubular type manifold, the vehicles with cast iron manifolds fare much better.... If you have a look at the T5 section of the Brick Yard site you will see that there are quite a few pages dedicated to the manifold problem.

Is your vehicle the "New" facelifted model or the earlier T5?
    Karl