Increasing Output of Absorption Cycle

Hi

I have a Waeco portable fridge (the type that uses gas/12/240V) however the output never seems to be that great.

I believe the unit is a atriple fluid device ammonia/water/hydrogen system that is sealed for life.

I have tried the usual tricks such as turning it upside down and always make sure that it is level.

I have done a bit of research so am fairly comfortable of the basic principles but I have struggled to get the unit to increase its performance.

I have tried increasing the thermal input (by running 12V and 240V elements concurrently)
    I have tried increaseing air flow across the rear of the unit (mainly directed at the ammonia condensor).

It appears that there is something more to the technology than I first thought!

Can anyone offer any advise as to how I can increase the thermal cooling capacity of this fridge?

Once the boiler/generator goes above a certain temperature does it not increase the the amount of ammonia boiled off thus the cooling capacity of the system - or does it just increase the overal pressure in the whole system and consequentially increase fluid boiler temperatures which is the limiting factor.....

Any knowledge or advise appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Increasing Output of Absorption Cycle

www.absreftec.com is down now - but this site had very detailed description how this ammonia machine works, but i found this document still readable on http://www.scribd.com/doc/63142270/G...-Refrigeration in sometime lower quality (i prefer pdf...) and if you look in chapter 7, he describe some capacity check and compare to compressor fridge, cooling capacity is low but still better and reach lower temperature (for example possibly to make ice cube) than peltie/thermo element fridge and only solution if you not have electrical power and using LPG or NG instead as heating source.

If you want cooling power and still portable (and have 12 or 24 Volt DC) - look for fridge with Danfoss BD35F-kompressor as product inside http://www.my-caravanning.com/en/pro...essor-coolers/ and if you want carry around boxes i recommend WAECO CoolFreeze CDF 18, running on 12 and 24 Volt

Best small cooling box I get and running years after years on 24/7 runnings and worth its price even is little bit expensive to buy...
    Last edited by xxargs; 06-08-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Re: Increasing Output of Absorption Cycle

Are you trying to increase the duty further than the design rating, or just rectify poor performance?

Have you measured the cooling capacity at the moment and compared this to the rating plate?