Question Do replacement compressors have to have the exact same HP and displacement values?

Newbie question:
    I have a display cabinet that originally had two Electrolux MS26TB (power 1.2 HP, displacement 25.93) compressors. The secondary one (kicks in a short delay after the first one) was replaced last year with a new Embraco NJ9232GK (1.25 HP, displacement 26.2cm3). The primary one has now failed and I’ve been able to able to source a new almost identical R404A compressor with control box for half the trade price of an equivalent or higher rated Cubigel or Embraco. Only problem is it has a lower HP value of 1.0 and a displacement value of 24.2cc. Both the engineers I’ve asked to fit it are trying to get me to buy more expensive new or re-purposed higher capacity ones one from them instead.

Would the lower powered CAJ9513Z be up to the job but taking slightly longer to get the temperature down? Could I replace the Embraco with the CAJ9513Z and make the Embraco the primary one or would it not be cost effective in terms of extra labour and refrigerant cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Do replacement compressors have to have the exact same HP and displacement values

The short answer is NO, you do not need to replace like for like...

Unless that is, you do want your system to operate afterwards.

The problem is that a refrigerant system needs to be fine tuned and balanced to operate. The compressor shift a set amount of refrigerant through it and this has to be closely matched by the other components that the refrigerant passes through. Yes you could fit a compressor of a different size but before you have replaced all the other parts to match you would have more than paid for the right compressor.

Re: Do replacement compressors have to have the exact same HP and displacement values

Thanks Viking!

The fitter that replaced the Secondary MS26TB with a Embraco NJ9232GK is offering to also replace the Primary MS26TB with the same Embraco compressor for £460 fully fitted. The Embraco's have higher displacement and HP values than the original MS26TB's (1.25 HP, 26.2cc and 1.2 HP, 25.93cc respectively). Hence, are you saying having higher capacity compressors will cause me problems very soon?

The other engineer I called for a quote has offered me a new AJ5515E for £300 fully fitted, in which the refrigerant has been changed from the R22 it was originally labelled as to R404A. I cannot find a HP value for it, but it's displacement of 25.95cc is much closer to the original MS26TB's 25.93cc.

Which engineers recommendation should I go for? or would I be better off sourcing an MS26TB (I think they are now made by Cubigel) myself and get one of them to install it?

Is there a trading section on this forum or can you recommend the best place to post a wanted ad for the compressor?

AJ5515E is an R22 air conditioning compressor, is your display cabinet an air conditioner?

The Embraco price seems too cheap, would think nearer £800 plus the vat to do it properly.

Don't know if Cubigel are better than Electrolux but i know one wholesaler who won't warranty Electrolux because so many fail.
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 29-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi MS, he said that they had a batch of AJ5515E's without any oil or refrigerant and when they had them filled it was to work with R404A refrigerant instead of R22. Which is why he can do them for £180 a piece.

I've been able to source a new MS26TB for £120 but it's down south. Any recommendations for Couriers?

Hi.I would defo stay away from that kind of thing.Both these price's just seem too cheap to carry out your job in the correct way. Do you have any experience with these guys?Have they done work for you before? Watch how you go.

Cheers