Design of a frozen meat cold storage facility

Hi

I'm an engineering student designing a frozen meat, that is boxed beef, cold storage facility. The facility has to use single stage vapour compression, and include a refrigerated loading dock and a blast freezer.

I would like to know if the refrigeration system for the cold space, the loading dock and the blast freezer should be designed using a single plant or if separate systems would be simpler? If a single system is used how are they integrated?

Also how is the humidity levels controlled in a frozen cold storage, do these facilities require air changes? Do you have to introduce new outside air into the facility to make sure that the air does not become too dry or is this accounted for by the infiltration air?

Any tips would be appreciated

Re: Design of a frozen meat cold storage facility

Not going to go into specifics, but to answer your first question with a question...as you are the one that needs to research the answers....

If you have different temperature requirements, i.e. loading dock @ +6C, cold storage @ -18C and blast freezer @ -45C, how would you achieve the different temperatures from a single plant?

Thank you

Hi, Zaakira

welcome to RE forums ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zaakira View Post
    Hi

I'm an engineering student designing a frozen meat, that is boxed beef, cold storage facility. The facility has to use single stage vapour compression, and include a refrigerated loading dock and a blast freezer.

I would like to know if the refrigeration system for the cold space, the loading dock and the blast freezer should be designed using a single plant or if separate systems would be simpler? If a single system is used how are they integrated?

Also how is the humidity levels controlled in a frozen cold storage, do these facilities require air changes? Do you have to introduce new outside air into the facility to make sure that the air does not become too dry or is this accounted for by the infiltration air?

Any tips would be appreciated
    Check links below and read all documents .....

this one is about meat...
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/ai407e00.HTM

this one is about cold storage ....
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/t0098e/t0098e00.HTM

about design of cold store for fish
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/v3630e...0.htm#Contents

Hope this is of some help to you

Best regards, Josip
    Last edited by Josip; 25-07-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add link

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Dear Zakira

I would recommend a central refrigeration system having seperate compressors for negative and positive cold stores.
    Similarly fresh air requirement is very important. Since there is air losses during the process.

Regards
    Prashant Gupta