Thread: Actual cop

Actual cop

hi,
    How to determine ACTUAL COP?

Re: Actual cop

COP is the equation of input power divided by Refrigeration Effect.

The only accurate way to calculate this is by plotting your system
    on a Ph chart and using the data it supplies.

You need to know how much work your evaporator is doing at any one time.
    This will be in kJ per kg or written as kJ/kg. When you have that value you
    divide it by the work done over the compression process (also written as kJ/kg)

This will give you a value, a factor or what ever you call it and it will represent
    the efficiency of the system.

So

Evaporator or Refrigeration effect (RE) as it is written is divided by Compressor
    work done (WD) as written.

RE
    WD

If RE = 2500 kJ/kg
    If WD= 400 kJ/kg

(RE) 2500
    (WD) 400

= 6.25. COP = 6.25. The higher the value the more efficient the system.

Regards

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

COP = RE/Input kW as Rob says.

Be careful though. True COP includes fans etc. & not every chiller manufacturer (in my personal experience) includes that in their figures, thus giving a falsely high COP.
    Curiously the French factory test bed of a certain well known chiller company does (did? It's been a while since I was last there) this, but thankfully the literature has the correct figure. Just about every consultant taken on a witness test looks at the COP meter & raises an eyebrow. Then borrows a calculator, adds the fan kW meter reading & proves the literature. Dunno why the factory never fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezerGeezer View Post
    COP = RE/Input kW as Rob says.

Be careful though. True COP includes fans etc. & not every chiller manufacturer (in my personal experience) includes that in their figures, thus giving a falsely high COP.
    Curiously the French factory test bed of a certain well known chiller company does (did? It's been a while since I was last there) this, but thankfully the literature has the correct figure. Just about every consultant taken on a witness test looks at the COP meter & raises an eyebrow. Then borrows a calculator, adds the fan kW meter reading & proves the literature. Dunno why the factory never fixed that.

What you say is correct but don't confuse Coefficient of performance (COP) with Energy Eficiency Ratio (EER).
    COP is only the relationship between Compressor and evaporator, EER is the whole relationship and does
    include fans, heaters, relays and can even be used as a annual - seasonal calculation, seasonal energy efiency ratio (SEER).

Regards

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Damn! Yes of course Rob. Clearly I've been back on the tools for too long! Lol

moideen is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Thermal KW divided by total electrical power input is the COP and EER. But both are calculating different way. In this calculation you can include condenser fan electrical input, in chilled water system the pump input, in water cooled cooling tower the fan electrical input. So the manufactures will have mentioned the TOTAL COP or MACHINE COP. I have seen some trane catalogue mention total EER.

COP=EER/3.412,EER=COP*3.412.
    THERMAL KW/UNIT POWER INPUT in kw=COP
    TOTAL BTUperHR/unit power input in watts=EER.