block of ice forms in fridge

My Frigidaire RL6003B fridge seems to work ok, it keeps my food cold.

Over a few days/weeks ice forms inside and only at the top 5 to 6 inches and it gets to be a big chunk a couple of inches thick. Every few weeks I clear it out.

Having cleared it away with a hammer yesterday, only 24 hours gone and there is already ice half an inch thick across the top/back spreading down a few inches where it thins out to nothing.

I have just noticed the fridge is not quite level. The front sits up very slightly. Could this have anything to do with it?

The door shuts ok and the door seal looks fine.

Advice please

Re: block of ice forms in fridge

Level of it should have nothing to do with it, don't hammer ice off it as it has refrigerant gas running through the evap and one slip will cost you a new one. Ice build up would normally be caused due to stat never cutting out but your food would be freezing so it could be a gas issue, to check this out you will have to call a qualified refrigeration engineer with the gas handling certificate.

or simpler yet check the defrost timer! they call them frost free, in reality they are frost hidden fridges. All so see that the evap fan is running as if it is not moving air sufficiently over the evap it will cuase this very issue as well

or if this is a role bond evap then ice is normale and in higher humidity weather they do form allot of ice, in which case turn fridge off, place a boiling keetle into the freezer box and wait for the thud (Big block of ice falling off it) After ice removed examin the the Tstat as it may be weak

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use tools to defrost, you WILL break the evap, then you WILL be buying a new fridge!

If the defrost timer is functioning (Indeed if it is a frost hidden fridge) only then can we say it may be a gass issue.

Rarly if ever is it a gass issue, and to go right there is poor tradesmanship imo I see this allot and geting rather put off on it, gas is the very very last thing that ever should be assumed!

Once you have checked these things report back and we will go from there!
    Now in Redvers Sask.

The cabinet model provided has no timer or an evap fan.

thanks for the replies.
    Level is not the cause - good and I won't be using a hammer on it again!
    Do i understand correctly - the model i have has no timer or evap fan so they won't need checking?
    That leaves thermostat or gas to be the problem.
    How do i check the thermostat?
    From what you say if the tstat is ok it will be a gas problem and i will need a qualified engineer.

well if it is role bond next we would check the condensing coil on the back, is it free and clear?

With role bond evaps when it is humid out they gain allot of ice fast! I have a 12 volt one that I remade with hot gas defrost for this very reason! the ice forms right hwere the capilery jets in the refrigerent first as it is the coldest spot. Perfectly normal albeit annoying.

about the only way to be sure it is the gas would be to test super heat, but at that point may well just vac and recharge the factory amount in it.

what is the humidity in your area like? where I am it is average of 85% usualy and I need to clear mine all most daily, how ever some ice is handy on the roll bond units in my books.
    Now in Redvers Sask.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mikeefc1 View Post
    The cabinet model provided has no timer or an evap fan.
    Hence why I gave cenarios for both types of fridges, if you have read my post again I am sure you will notice.

perhaps one would wish to re-read to be sure of what they are commenting on?
    Now in Redvers Sask.

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony View Post
    Hence why I gave cenarios for both types of fridges, if you have read my post again I am sure you will notice.

perhaps one would wish to re-read to be sure of what they are commenting on?
    Instead of commenting on your idea of poor tradesman ship maybe you should know the cabinet being asked about, why is putting a theory to someone asking for help such a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by beepy View Post
    thanks for the replies.
    Level is not the cause - good and I won't be using a hammer on it again!
    Do i understand correctly - the model i have has no timer or evap fan so they won't need checking?
    That leaves thermostat or gas to be the problem.
    How do i check the thermostat?
    From what you say if the tstat is ok it will be a gas problem and i will need a qualified engineer.
    Yes I would say if the stat checks out it is more than likely a refrigerant gas issue which will require someone gas certified (in my opinion) hope this helps.

Make sure if your checking the stat out that it is unplugged, as obvious as it sounds I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

thanks again for your replies. I am just a fridge user and a bit confused and i have read all posts again.
    I can check the coil round the back - that's the metal sort of frame thing that i expect might be dusty so i just clear it of dust and anything else that might be on it - yes?
    Tstat - still unsure how to check it - advice please

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/...:262009,214867
    for the sake of 30 quid - replace it to see if symptoms improve- but probably short of gas-need a fridgie