Cool Freezer Room flooring design and CAD works

Will appreciate your helpful information regarding design of freezer room flooring.

More specifically I shall like to know the reason why to have ventilation pipes in the concrete flooring especially PVC pipes.
    I do understand that having metal pipes will somehow increase the heat exchange capacity.

Need to know this system. A sketch work or flow diagram will be of great help.

An early reply is appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Freezer Room flooring design and CAD works

The reason for ventilation in the sub-structure below the construction concrete slab is to prevent "ice heave ". You can have natural ventilation tubes, or forced air vent tubes, or embedded heated glycol circulation tubes. Your choice.
    Without aything the freezer will freeze ground under structure, and grow in volume and lift the freezer flooring, cracking floor slabs and making freezer useless.
    So by adding what ever choice, you add heat load to structure , in turn refrigeration load.

Hi
    There is a post on this forum just a few days ago on the same subject with a diagram showing natural vent method. If you search freezer floor design I think you will find it usefull.

Blog Entries

I use concrete blocks ( shape H ) ( 30cm X40cmx25 cm) and put holes in one line and make one long hole and use forced Air (this hole circulating under floor ) you have concrete + insulation + plastic sheet 2 layer +( heater or glycol circulation tubes) + concrete +(Concrete Blocks) +base concrete

Hi there,

Have a look at the picture.

For heating tubes search the web by "frost heave". There are companies who are specialized in this system.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Hi, riazahmadmalik

welcome to RE forums...

Quote Originally Posted by riazahmadmalik View Post

Will appreciate your helpful information regarding design of freezer room flooring.

More specifically I shall like to know the reason why to have ventilation pipes in the concrete flooring especially PVC pipes.
    I do understand that having metal pipes will somehow increase the heat exchange capacity.

Need to know this system. A sketch work or flow diagram will be of great help.

An early reply is appreciated.

Thank you.

Please search, RE forums and for sure you will find a lot of explanation regarding your question/s.

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Can you please let me know the link for the post?
    Of all the replies I do not find the answer. I know about the heave but how air flow works through PVC pipes underground to avoid freezing is what I do not understand. PVC is not a good conductor which can exchange the heat.
    I know that if we use metal pipes the cold floor temperature will conduct through the metal pipes which has natural air flow through it.

Thank you for your posts.

Your picture does not mention any pipes. We are at 85% compaction. I would prefer it to be 95%. What if we go with 85%?

The idea of concrete blocks seems to be an alternate. What is the pattern, size and pitch of holes. What is the air flow pattern? i.e. air flow through the holes

Blog Entries

I have drawing of that in acad
    mail your mail to me I will send it to you
    Gholbehan@yahoo.com

Alexie Guest

Hi, riazahmadmali,
    Have you considered low voltage electric heater mat instead. Will save you money in the long run.

Normally electric mats are not found anywhere in Pakistan and second concern is lack of electricity power. In my absence the project manager put in the PVC pipes and that too without the slots. I wonder if he installed these in a gradient to flow the condensate out. I know he had made a blunder .... now its a hush hush situation. I know he will be gone by the time it heaves. Poor owner!

I do freezer floors different,

First you build the walls and ceiling construction.
    Now for the floor:
    The bottom layer is 100 mm plates of Polyurethane, on top of it Tar sheets to prevent condensation, over it 12 cm concrete reinforced with steel 8 mm steel mash
    Finishing with a 6 mm hard layer with 3 mm grooves every 1 m to eliminate cracks.

This works fine with me for the past many years.