R-134a cooler, 150 hi, 18 lo: only cools to 50degrees after 2 hrs

Hello RE.COM:

I am new to the forum, and I have a question about a call I ran into today: I am working on a 4 drawer prep-table (Beverage-air) that was stored for 10 months (+/-). The unit was clean (condenser/evap coils), fans both worked to perfection, unit still sealed from factory (used piercing valves to access pressures). Unit was ran for 2 hours without interruption and the lowest my drop-in thermometer reached was 50 degrees...

I'm running a 150 head pressure over an 18 PSI suction. Nothing makes sense, and I am stumped. A co-worker suggested that the capillary tube wasn't allowing the refrigerant to properly flow into the evaporator.

Has anyone seen this type of unit with these symptoms and what/how did you repair? Is the capillary tube diagnosis a proper one?

Also: The compressor was extremely hot, but I attributed the heat to the fact that the compressor runs continually since it doesn't reach temp and cut out.

Thanks!

Re: R-134a cooler, 150 hi, 18 lo: only cools to 50degrees after 2 hrs

Check the drier, it could be partially blocked.

Agree with chemi-cool sounds like a blockage, is the drier warm/cold/hot?

Quote Originally Posted by 1mikeefc1 View Post
    Agree with chemi-cool sounds like a blockage, is the drier warm/cold/hot?
    Ok guys, I repaired the refrigerators... Here's how it went down:

I returned to check up on the filter/drier on each unit. No restriction was found, I checked it out two ways: 1) Temp check across the F/D (same temp with a 1-2 deg. variance); 2) Piercing Valve after F/D (confirmed my first check);

Then, I decided to check if the compressor was working properly. Since I didn't have a way of closing the suction line service valve (because there wasn't one), I simply shut off the system. Within a matter of 2 minutes, the pressures were equalized.

Returned the next business day and replaced compressor, cap tube and F/D on each unit. Both units pulling down to 37 degrees.