Need Some Help (Automotive CFC Recovery)

Hey Guys and Girls,

Been away for a while, was put in a different job and wasnt working with CFCs anymore. Getting back into it now and need a lil refresher and a bit of a how to.

I am getting moved to processing scrap vehicles. I know I need my ticket, thats done already. I also already know the equipment, its the same rig I used for fridges. What i need to know is how you drain the refrigerant from a vehicle AC system. As i said, its been a few years since i worked with CFC, so please be detailed.

Thanks All,

J.J. Mac

Re: Need Some Help (Automotive CFC Recovery)

Connect your manifold to the high and low side ports, preferable with valved hoses so you don't loose charge, connect other hose on manifold to recovery unit's suction side, separate hose from recovery machine's discharge to reclaim cylinder, open all the valves and start the recovery unit. Let it run until the pressure is well below ambient, especially when cold, then turn everything off and disconnect...

Any idea how to distinguish the two? And what is the connenction i would use? The rig I have has the vice grip-spike things... (clearly i am a scrap yard guy first and a reefer tech second...)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

You should use a proper gauge set with the correct auto fittings but I appreciate that you could be recovering from old cars with R12 connectors as well as the snap on ones for R134a.

If just using your clip on tools then either find the tubes going to the cabin evaporator near the bulkhead (firewall) or the ones from the condenser in front of the radiator.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015